Monday, September 22, 2008

That sound you heard Saturday was a big sigh of relief

PHEW!
We didn't blow it this time, my Boilers won a thriller over Central Michigan 32-25. In a crazy game it literally came down to the last minute. I try not to make excuses in wins or losses, but it seemed it was clearly a Hangover Ala Duck early on. We had no emotion and were flat for pretty much 3.5 quarters and woke up just in time. Even when we had a big play the emotion just wasn't there. You can't do that with a team like Central, who believe it or not is a damn good team. They have one of the best quarterbacks in the country, and they had a chip on their shoulder where Purdue was concerned. If you missed it we were up 24-17 with 3 mins to go when a questionable fumble call was given to CMU. They drove down to our 4, and after a sack they found the endzone, and went for 2. After another questionable call that was reviewed they were awarded the conversion, sending the Chip fans into hysterics. Stupidly they kicked to our great return guy and he brought it out to the 39 and got a facemask penalty giving us great field position. It took one play a handoff to Kory Sheets, and he made an incredible stop and go move and scampered the rest of the way and after successfully going for two we were back in the lead. CMU's next drive we did what we have struggled all of Tiller's career at Purdue doing we closed it with an interception. A history making game as Tiller became the all time winningest football coach in Purdue history, and Kory Sheets became the all time touchdown leader. Now onto the cheating Irish!

As for the picks, yours truly did really bad, congrats to Duck for outpicking me he deserved it.
Duck = 9-4
Phats = 7-7 (overall 31-10 after 3 weeks of Purdue football)

Other observations
Congrats to Duck's Boise State Broncos for finally beating a BCS team on the road. Although I think us Boiler backers deserve some credit for taking out their QB and having Oregon play their 3rd string guy. BSU about blew a lead just like we did!

The SEC is the best conference in the country. That being said Georgia, Florida, and LSU are the class of the SEC, but you better not sleep on Cheryl and Gary's Alabama Crimson Tide. The worlds largest outdoor cocktail party might decided who goes to the National Title Game from the SEC.

Speaking of LSU that game with Auburn was amazing. What a game so many ups and downs for both teams, and I am sure you Bama fans that read this blog don't mind Auburn losing. I want to point out that had LSU gotten that last two point conversion I would have been spot on with my pick.

The ACC is bad. When your two highest ranked teams play to such a boring game that doesn't bode well for the rest of the season. I am going with my buddy, Topolk's, Clemson Tigers to win the ACC they in my opinion are the best team in the conference. The ACC should schedule more Big East teams that's the only league they can compete against.

Has everyone heard the latest, Notre Dame and head coach Fat Charlie caught cheating at the MSU game. Using a computer in the press box which is absolutely 100% ILLEGAL! I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the Patriots Tree for Fat Charlie. At least he remembers his roots. I hate Notre Dame with a major passion.

How about some love for Ball State! The Cardinals had lost 42 straight times to a BCS school, and Saturday they scored 42 points in clobbering the hapless hoosiers of IU! I loved every minute of it too. The only scary part came when BSU's best receiver took a nasty hit and was taken to the hospital. Apparently he had an operation on his spinal cord and is said to be in good shape. It was a great weekend, Purdue won, IU Lost, and Notre Dame lost doesn't get much better than that!

Alright everyone have a great week, sorry this is a day late. Dancing with the stars starts tonight, Kristen is picking Lance Bass to win, I am going with Misty May-Treanor. We'll see maybe we should bet on who will last longer.
Phats

2 Comments:

At 7:27 PM , Blogger TOPolk said...

Hey, hey hey...hey. That game featured two of the ACC's highest ranked teams. Clemson was ranked higher than FSU. Anywhoo, I'm still deathly afraid of Wake Forest. Before the season started I was more worried about that game than I was the 'Bama game and dammit, I still am. ['Bama's just better than advertised, as evidenced by their throttling of Arkansas. LSU and Auburn should be nervous].

And show us a little love. Miami demolishes A&M while GT took care of an underrated MSU. Then last week UNC and Maryland embarrassed Rutgers and Cal respectively. It's faint, but the ACC has a pulse.

And thanks for picking us to win the conference. All of us down her know that we should but we've seen this movie four times too many. We're not counting anything for certain yet...

 
At 9:50 AM , Blogger Cheryl Wray said...

I love to see "hapless" teams like Ball State finally have a good game. I'm enjoying how Vanderbilt is doing this year; I pretty much always root for them in the SEC and this year they have a chance to go to a bowl!

Was SO glad to see Purdue pull that game out! It was scary, though!

We are getting ready down here for Georgia. It's gonna be a big one!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home