Monday, September 03, 2007

In a word SHOCKING!

So, week 1 of college football is in the books, and one word describes what happened SHOCKING! For those of you who don't follow football get lost, for those of you who do I bet you know what I am talking about. Quite possibly the biggest upset in the history of college football took place when Appalachian State went to the big house and beat Michigan 34-32 on a blocked field goal. Why is this such a big upset, for starters ASU isn't even Division 1, secondly scUM was ranked 5th in the nation and picked by some to win the national title, and thirdly they never lose in the big house especially these kind of games. It makes me more nervous for this week because we have our non D1 opponent, but then again it also opens our players eyes so they should be ready and focused. This could easily be the end of the Lloyd Carr era at scUM. What a great day, Purdue won, Notre Lame got drilled, and scUM loses to App State! I LOVE COLLEGE FOOTBALL!

As for my Boilers, they won convincingly 52-24 over the Toledo Rockets. When the starters went out it was 45-17 so a pretty good showing. The defense played well for the most part, but we won't really know probably til the Minnesota game how good they really are. The offense was unstoppable. What is scary is Curtis Painter our QB can actually improve, they are going to be really good. Our special teams also played well considering we had a kickoff return for a TD, and another for 60 yards, and a punt return for 40 yards. The new kickoff rule will really help us with Dorien Bryant back there. So, all in all I was very happy, it's never easy to open on the road at a MAC school that wants nothing more than to prove everybody wrong and beat ya. Good solid win. As for the predictions I did quite well the final standings were
Phats 12 WOOHOO's and 0 D'ohs
Nutz 7 WOOHOO's and 5 D'ohs
Shife, the Vandals didn't do too bad! Duck this will be the big week for BSU for sure that's going to be a tough game, and DG I am glad I didn't pick against the golden flashes for sure. :) Cher is begging me to let her pick EVERY week, what do you all think?

Nothing else going on, enjoyed my day off thank you Labor Day. Watched some good tennis at the US Open, felt bad for James Blake, and thought if a less than 100% Berdych almost take a set from Andy Roddick before retiring. I am thinking if he is less than 100% and still can win a set that's pathetic Andy. My picks are still looking good by the way!

That's all I got for ya, sorry but mostly sports posts for awhile and you all just have to deal! The guest picker for this coming week has been selected. Have a great week

Phats

18 Comments:

At 9:19 PM , Blogger cher said...

what do you think? like anyone will have to think about it. if they say no, i start breaking knees.

 
At 11:25 AM , Blogger AngelConradie said...

go boilers!

 
At 11:56 AM , Blogger Duck said...

Yep, Washington looked tough. That QB of theirs (Locker) appears to be a big tough dude. I'm looking forward to seeing how my Broncos handle that challenge.

 
At 12:47 PM , Blogger JM said...

I heard about that upset!! I didn't get to see the game. I was watching some tennis!!
I have no words.

 
At 12:57 PM , Blogger Scott said...

That Michigan loss actually hurt me on a pretty deep and personal level. I think Carr is done... time for a change. They are going to need to win out for him to keep his job, don't see that happening.

Scott

 
At 1:11 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

ROLLLLL Tide Roll!!!!!!

Well, it may have been a team we were suppose to beat. But the last couple of years, we've strubgled even on these games. I think the Tide left no doubt here...

I love College Football TOO!!!

 
At 2:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey everyone...I'm going to the Purdue game with Phats this weekend and I'm planning on bringing my camera.....how much are you willing to pay for me to get a pic of him????

 
At 5:58 PM , Blogger cher said...

i'm willing to pay the bill if you call me while you are there and let me talk to him!...you can take a picture of that

 
At 8:54 PM , Blogger Lee Ann said...

Have a great week Phats!

 
At 9:02 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

LOL, I think Cheryl has one of him already.... she won't let me see it. I think she keeps it under her pillow at night!! LOL (just kidding)

 
At 10:29 AM , Blogger Travis Erwin said...

I say let Cher do whatever she wants. Besides she has to be better thatn that Nutz character. Picking Nevada over my Huskers, come on.

I'm also a huge Saints fan and I'm gearing up for tomorrow's game. Only bad thing about football season is that it's hell on my writing time.

 
At 12:11 PM , Blogger cher said...

I say let Cher do whatever she wants......nice travis. thanks. that is exactly the attitude i'm looking for here.

 
At 8:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So how is the Simpson movie?

 
At 9:34 PM , Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

Congrats on the win. How 'bout Notre Dame?

 
At 6:56 AM , Blogger DaBich said...

I don't follow a lot of college football, unless it's Pitt or Penn State (I live in Pennsylvania, did ya figger that out? LOL) I do follow NFL a bit more. But hockey is my fav...NHL and teh Penguins.

Glad you enjoyed your weekend. We're going to our local fair this evening. I'm gonna find me some treats!

 
At 8:43 AM , Blogger jay lassiter said...

Venus' big win in NY sent me into delirium. Not that I don't like Jankovic. I do.

will she beat justine? i am hopeful.

 
At 2:01 PM , Blogger Cheryl Wray said...

Hey Phats--
Have you read this? (I pretty much stalk sports websites and blogs, so I catch ANYTHING about college ball.)
Read his Big Ten analysis--
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=269084

 
At 2:03 PM , Blogger Cheryl Wray said...

And oh yeah--the Michigan game was CRAZY!!! There's always one like that every year that just surprises you. But I didn't see that one coming! I sure have loved seeing that replay over and over on ESPN. lol

Boiler Up!
Roll Tide!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home