Hoping for a BIG upset
Well, after a thrilling win this past Saturday, the Boilers focus their attention to another Michigan team, the only problem is this is a good Michigan team. Purdue travels to East Lansing to take on the #23rd ranked Michigan State Spartans, at Noon on the Big Ten Network. Up until last year Purdue had really had MSU's number, but this new coach is a pretty good one, and knows how to use his talent. The Spartans feature one of the best running backs in the country in Jevon Ringer, and stopping him will be difficult. Coach Tiller has yet to name his starting quarterback this week as well, will it be the veteran Curtis Painter a 5th year Senior who has played pretty bad, or the 3rd string redshirt Freshman who led us to victory last week vs a pretty bad Michigan team this will really be stepping up the competition.
This week's guest picker might be my most sports savvy reader, it's none other than Cheryl. She has to be in heaven right now because her Alabama Crimson Tide are #1 in the polls, and have a great shot at playing for the national title. If you don't read her blog I suggest you give it a look, under Cheryl on my links. Onto the picks. Kent State and Idaho are off this week.
Bowling Green Falcons at Ohio Bobcats(Skiingred)
Cheryl- I’ve always loved the name “ Bowling Green ”; it sounds like they should pretty much stick to bowling when it comes to sports. But since I really don’t know too much about either of these teams, I’m going with Skiingred’s team and saying the Bobcats munch on some Falcons this weekend.
Ohio 28 Bowling Green 24
Phats- Hmm early on Bowling Green looked like a good pick in the MAC after they beat Pittsburgh, then they lost to Minnesota who wasn't suppose to be 7-2 like they are. Ohio has struggled all year, but will keep this one close for awhile.BOWLING GREEN 41 ohio 31
EDIT FINAL SCORE BOWLING GREEN 28 ohio 3
Cheryl = WOOHOO
Phats = WOOHOO
Utah State Aggies at Boise State Broncos(Duck)
Cheryl- Boise State will roll again. (Besides, as a Texas fan, I have a hard time picking anyone called the Aggies.)
Boise State 42 Utah State 13
Phats- This has mismatch written all over it, Broncos run wild on the smurf turf continuing their push for a BCS bowl.
BOISE STATE 55 utah state 10
EDIT FINAL SCORE BOISE STATE 49 utah state 14
Cheryl = WOOHOO
Phats = WOOHOO
Wyoming Cowboys at Tennessee Volunteers(Tiggysmum)
Cheryl- Tennessee is Bad with a capital “B,” but Wyoming is Worse with a capital “W.” And with players behind ousted coach Phil Fulmer, I think they’ll want to give him a good win. (The question is: will there be any Tennessee fans showing up for the game?)
Tennessee 17, Wyoming 6
Phats- I would love to take the cowboys for our coach, Coach Tiller, but I believe Wyoming is awful. Even a bad Tennessee team should beat this team right?
TENNESSEE 42 wyoming 17
EDIT FINAL SCORE WYOMING 13 tennessee 7
Cheryl = D'oh
Phats = D'oh
Tennessee Martin Skyhawks at Auburn Tigers(Pissy and Leeann)
Cheryl- Auburn is competing with Tennessee for the Most Inept Offense Award, but I really do hate to see them struggling so mightily (as a Bama fan, I’d rather them win all year except when they play us…same goes for Tennessee, Florida, etc.). Auburn needs to pistol-whip the Skyhawks (how about that for a bizarre nickname? What in the heck does it mean?) or the natives will be even more restless than they already are. I still don’t think they’ll score a ton, but they’ll get a win.
Auburn 23, Tenn-Martin 7
Phats- Who the hell scheduled this game so late in the year, I am not sure who but Auburn fans have to be happy about it considering they suck and need a cupcake about now. Auburn in a laugher
AUBURN 41 tennessee-martin 0
EDIT FINAL SCORE AUBURN 37 tennessee martin 20
Cheryl = WOOHOO
Phats = WOOHOO
Baylor Bears at Texas Longhorns(Gary, and Cheryl)
Cheryl- Texas is coming off of a hugely-exhausting stretch of games again Top Ten opponents and an emotional loss to Texas Tech. I still think the Longhorns are one of the top couple of teams in the country, and I feel sorry for Baylor being in their way this week.
Texas 51, Baylor 17
Phats- In reality Penn State fans had to be happy that Texas lost even though they didn't climb to #2 like they should have, because had Texas won they really had no roadblocks remaining. The bad news for Baylor, they get a pissed off UT team. Hook em Horns!
TEXAS 61 baylor 3
EDIT FINAL SCORE TEXAS 45 baylor 21
Cheryl = WOOHOO
Phats = WOOHOO
North Carolina State Wolfpack at Duke Blue Devils(David)
Cheryl- It’s hard to imagine how far Duke has come since last year. I always love any “come from the depths of defeat” stories, so I’m hoping the Blue Devils will pull out another win and get ready to bowl (besides, they probably are pretty mad after losing in OT last week to Wake Forest). NC State hasn’t looked impressive all year.
Duke 27 NC State 14
Phats- NC State used to be a good college football team back in the Phillip Rivers days but haven't heard much about them since. Duke is having a nice season but still won't win this game.
NORTH CAROLINA STATE 28 duke 21
EDIT FINAL SCORE NORTH CAROLINA STATE 27 duke 17
Cheryl = D'oh
Phats = WOOHOO
Cincinnati Bearcats at West Virginia Mountaineers(Angel Jr)
Cheryl- The Mountaineers seem to be getting stronger as the season keeps moving along (with Pat White at the helm, I thought they’d be good from the get-go), and I don’t think they should have any problems with Cincinnati .
West Virginia 31, Cincinnati 17
Phats- This could be a pretty entertaining game, Cincy has been OK this season, and WVU has really gotten better as the year has gone on. I look for the Eers' to take this one and continue on to a Big East Championship.
WEST VIRGINIA 35 cincinnati 21
EDIT FINAL SCORE CINCINNATI 26 west virginia 23 OT
Cheryl = D'oh
Phats = D'oh
Penn State Nittany Lions(Dabich) at Iowa Hawkeyes
Cheryl- Although, on paper, it looks like Penn State should run the table and go all the way to the national championship game, there could be some trip-ups on the way. Iowa could give them a bit of a fight…but, I still think the Nittany Lions should win one again.
Penn State 21 Iowa 13
Phats- Penn State and Joe Pa will keep doing what they have done all year... WIN they won't lose to a bad Hawkeye team
PENN STATE 35 iowa 17
EDIT FINAL SCORE IOWA 24 penn state 23
Cheryl = D'oh
Phats = D'oh
Clemson Tigers(Topolk) at Florida State Seminoles
Cheryl- This actually should be a really interesting game, since the ACC continues to create confusion in my mind. I never know what ACC team is going to play well from week to week. I’m cheering for Clemson (any win by teams we beat helps us!), but really have no clue what’s going to happen.
Clemson 14, FSU 13 (since I really have no idea who will come out on top!)
Phats- I told Topolk I wouldn't pick his Tigers, and so I will stick with that, I think this will be an interesting game actually, and the ACC better get their tiebreaker procedures down!
FLORIDA STATE 28 clemson 21
EDIT FINAL SCORE FLORIDA STATE 41 clemson 27
Cheryl = D'oh
Phats = WOOHOO
Phats- I told Topolk I wouldn't pick his Tigers, and so I will stick with that, I think this will be an interesting game actually, and the ACC better get their tiebreaker procedures down!
FLORIDA STATE 28 clemson 21
EDIT FINAL SCORE FLORIDA STATE 41 clemson 27
Cheryl = D'oh
Phats = WOOHOO
Kansas Jayhawks at Nebraska Cornhuskers(travis)
Cheryl- It might be hard to believe, but Kansas hasn’t been Nebraska in Lincoln since 1968 (the great year I was born, by the way!). They desperately want to end that streak and certainly Nebraska is not back as a strong team yet. Still, why do I think Nebraska will win again?
Nebraska 24, Kansas 21
Phats- Years past this was a blowout with Nebraska drilling rock chalk jayhawk, but KU has since found a football team. I think this will be a competitive back and forth game, and I like Travis' huskers to come out on top
NEBRASKA 35 kansas 31
EDIT FINAL SCORE NEBRASKA 45 kansas 35
Cheryl = WOOHOO
Phats = WOOHOO
Oklahoma State Cowboys at Texas Tech Red Raiders(Jef and Fuzz)
Cheryl- Texas Tech now has to battle the sort of stretch of games that Texas had to in the lsat several of weeks. They start against Oklahoma State, which is a very strong team itself (and, by the way, even though I’m a Bama lover and a proponent of SEC’s superiority, the Big 12 has been the most entertaining and competitive conference all year!). I think that OSU will give them a strong game this week, but think their loss will come later against Oklahoma . This one’s gonna be close, though, and fun!
Texas Tech 45, OSU 38
Phats- I have been going back and forth on this, can Tech play another big game and get another big win. I think they can, but I don't see it happening. I predicted in my last entry they would lose their next two I am sticking to it, Cowboy up!
OKLAHOMA STATE 42 texas tech 41
EDIT FINAL SCORE TEXAS TECH 56 oklahoma state 20
Cheryl = WOOHOO
Phats = D'oh
Big Game Of The Week
Texas Christian Horned Frogs at Utah Utes
Cheryl- TCU Horned Frogs at Utah Utes(we're already picking Tech/OSU)
I love it when there’s a good Thursday night college football game, and this one absolutely should be a good one! Two top 15 teams and both potential bowl busters; and, growing up in the “Old School” Southwest Conference, I remember the Horned Frogs as a conference foe (they also have my most favorite nickname of all!). Utah seems to be getting more love, but I’m going with a TCU victory.
TCU 31, Utah 24
Phats- I chose this because this is Utah's first chance to show they belong, sure TCU isn't a world beater but they are a pretty good team. I think Utah is overrated, and I believe the Frogs will expose that tonight in a squeaker. TCU 35 utah 28
EDIT FINAL SCORE UTAH 13 tcu 10
Cheryl = D'oh
Phats = D'oh
Alabama Crimson Tide(Cheryl, Gary, Booya) at LSU Tigers
Cheryl- Can I get a big ole “Roll Tide!!!!!” from everyone in the house? I had this game circled since before the beginning of the season, but mostly because it would be our matchup with the defending national champions and the return of Coach Saban to Baton Rouge . But now, amazingly, there are SO many more implications going on in this game. We can clinch the SEC West with a victory and—of course—we gotta keep winning if we want a chance to play for the national championship. LSU’s offense has definite holes and their defense has not been as dominant as it has in years past. But, that doesn’t mean much of anything when it’s a rival game and their fanbase is in an absolutely tizzy over the game. I think, though, that the buildup will actually hurt LSU. Alabama is a very poised, mature team and I think the challenge will actually make them stronger. What I’m looking for is another fast start to the game, the ability to run the ball consistently, and a good showing by both of our lines. If they do that—which they have most of the year—we should roll again.
Alabama 38, LSU 21
Phats- Roadblock #1 for Bama's march to the title game. I believe this is Saban's first game back at LSU as well so much intrigue. I have really liked how Bama has played and handled themselves, and LSU has underachieved. If this game were in Tuscaloosa i'd say Alabama in a butt whipping, but it's at LSU so it will be close with Bama holding on in the end. ROLLLLLLL TIDE ROLLLLLLLLLLL!
ALABAMA 31 louisiana state 28
EDIT FINAL SCORE ALABAMA 27 lsu 21 OT(you got their score right Cheryl!)
Cheryl = WOOHOO
Phats = WOOHOO
Purdue Boilermakers(Me, Booya) at Michigan State Spartans
Cheryl- This will be a tough match-up for the Boilermakers (in fact, I think that the Spartans will have the best chance of upsetting Penn State’s undefeated season), but they are coming off of an emotional win against Michigan last week. I’m predicting another big win for the Boilermakers!
Purdue 35, Michigan State , 30
Phats- Purdue and MSU usually provide very entertaining games, often coming down to the very last play. I just hope that is the case Saturday. My head says come on Phats Sparty will run all over us, my heart says WE CAN DO IT! I really like this new QB we played vs UM and I think he gives us a better chance to win. I hope I am right on this pick, and we go to Iowa the following week with a chance at a bowl still. Purdue in a squeaker.
PURDUE 31 michigan state 28
EDIT FINAL SCORE MICHIGAN STATE 21 purdue 7
Cheryl = D'oh
Phats = D'oh
My prediction for Purdue's second exhibition basketball game
Purdue 91 northern state 56
EDIT FINAL SCORE PURDUE 81 northern state 61!! YAY!
Hail Hail to old Purdue all Hail to our old gold and black
Hail Hail to old Purdue our friendship may she never lack
Ever Grateful, ever true thus we raise our song a new FIRE UP!
Of the days we've spent with you, all Hail our own Purdue
GO BOILERS!
BTFU!!!


16 Comments:
Usually ACC fans are pretty good at tiebreakers (well, since the expansion). But the way this year has been going, pssssh -- who knows who'll end up where.
The only thing that's guaranteed is that Boston College won't be going to Jacksonville or Atlanta, not matter how good their record is. Non-traveling bastards.
Sorry -- I'm still a lil peeved from their lack of tailgating skills in Boston.
Cheryl knows her shit. Get you Guns Up!!!
Woo Hoo! The picks are up!! Looks like you and I agree on all but about three of them. Crossing my fingers that I beat you!! LOL
Pure Evyl...thanks for the compliment!! :-)
Boiler Up!!!!
ROLL TIDE!!!!
Top- I did my job buddy! I want some kind of pay off if it works again. Ha you need to come tailgate with us at Purdue!!
Fuzz- HA! my guns are up
Cheryl- HAHA you're competitive I love it! BTW I had to pick against clemson!
I'm not your most sports savvy reader? I'm hurt.
I'm not your most sports savvy reader? I'm hurt.
I'm not your most sports savvy reader? I'm hurt.
It said it wasn't posting. Clearly blogger isn't treating me any better than the the photo posting! SO sorry. But hey - you can't say I didn't comment!
Wow, I had a lot to read today. Even my office showed up with "Utar" and "The Frogs".
It will be an exciting weekend.
Knot
Phats - You really think Auburn can score 41 points? I don't they have a roadmap that can get them to the endzone that many times... :)
And Tennesee couldn't find 41 points in a game against Auburn...
oh well ROLLLLL TIDE!!!
Well, we already both lost on the TCU pick. (But at least we're still tied! lol)
This week has been so busy; I'm actually about to post my AlabamaGameday picks right now. Better late than never!
Okay...it appears that there is no way I will win the picks this time around. I'm already three behind you. So, I bow to Master Phats for his expert prognostication.
But...you know what?
I don't care too much, because WE WON!!!!!!
It was ugly, it was hard-fought, but we were tested for the first time this year and actually came through. I am so proud!!!!
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
First off sorry about Purdue's loss.
Next Victim: Oklahoma!!!! GET YOUR GUNS UP MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
I will be shocked of Tech can escape Norman with a win next week.
And my Huskers are now bowl eligible! It's sad that Husker football has come down to being excited at the possibilty of a meaningless bowl game.
So, uh, did the flashes not play or do you not like me anymore. :'(
My guys blew it.... :(
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home