Sunday, April 16, 2006

Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore

Hello bloggers!
So they say that Kansas is known as Tornado Alley, I think that might change after this summer. This month of April so far has been very eventful here in good ole Indiana with very bad storms some producing tornadoes. Tonight was the 5th time this month we have had a tornado warning, and it's the first time I have gone to my safe place for it, luckily it veered off and took another path. It's quite funny I never ever took watches and warnings very seriously because I never thought it would happen to me, but that all changed a few years ago. Back in June of 1998 I was home at my parents on summer break from college and we had a tornado warning and it actually hit. My mom and I had one dog in a closet, and my father had the other dog in a bathroom it was absolutely crazy. It's amazing what those things can do, and how there is really no rhyme or reason to them. We had some damage to our house, roof damage, fence damage, car damage. My dad had a tree thrown thru the back of his van window smashing it to pieces. My car had roof damage, where our basketball goal fell ontop it. However we really couldn't complain considering our neighbors across the street and three over lost their ENTIRE house the only thing standing was the closet the mom and daughter were huddled in. If you ever watch the weather channel's storm stories our tornado has been on there. It was a very scary day, and now when the local weather breaks in with watches or warnings I actually listen, not to mention when the town siren goes off that thing is freakin' loud! Hopefully this doesn't mean summer is going to be worse, usually the bad bad storms are in June when it's incredibly hot and sticky.

Well, our tennis season is underway and we're off to the start I thought we would be 0-3 WOOHOO go us! With the first week complete I figured we'd be 1-2, especially since we opened with the two best teams in our conference, but our first match was one we could have and should have won. We lost 3-2 when our 3 singles player lost 6-4 in the third set, she is a Freshman and I think the nerves and tension took over in the last two games. My assistant and I are still tweaking the line up, our biggest problem is we have 12 Seniors! We play Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of this week so it's keeping me busy. We had an ALL day invite Saturday, and after a 1hr 30 min delay for fog, we sat in the mini bus, the weather ended up being beautiful. Most of us are fried from the sun though! I enjoy coaching, it's hard when you have a team that has a hard time winning, but the girls I work with are great kids and hardworkers so it's been a lot of fun so far.

Now for the bad story from last week, I was going to blog about this sooner but I didn't wanna bloghog Nuttina. So, we had an away tennis match Wed, and after introductions I was walking off court and hear my name. Now, at first I had no clue who the hell this person was, it was a young lady with a baby. As I got closer, and I think I even said this outloud, I said oh shit when I realized who it was. My ex Ehrin was there with her daughter, oh happy day! For those of you who don't know this woman broke my heart into a million pieces and Nuttina can confirm this as she knows most of the situation. She literally tore my heart out of my chest, and stomped on it until it was 2 million tiny piece, then forced fed it back to me. Let me keep this brief here, she was the first girl I fell in love with, and after everything ended this girl continued to email me sending me pictures of her new HUSBAND and baby. Now how is that for bitchy? I emailed her and POLITELY asked her to please stop emailing me, and 2 days later got more pictures. So as you can see she is not someone I really wanted to see. I will say this I am proud of myself I made small talk, and I was very polite and didn't take it to a level of rudeness. Shoot I even played with her kid, and the kid is under 5! Possibly it's because I am in a great place with my life right now and that made me more confident who knows, but I took the moral high road. Believe me there were some things going thru my head that I wanted to say to her, but I refrained. Ex's just suck the big one in my book, I am not friends with any of my ex's.

Lets see random notes here. I bought a bookshelf today for all my books. I had just been putting them in piles in corners of my room haha. It's nice each shelf is full to capacity with books, and I put them in alphabetical order starting with the ones I have read already on top. I love reading, I am currently reading a Stephen King book of short stories called "skeleton crew" you have any suggestions for books I should checkout leave em in the comments. I am going to look into the one Mr Shife suggested. Umm what else, oh yeah my diet, I started a new healthy eating diet recently. I have been really good so far too, I chose to start April 1st to eat healthier, and so far so good. Of course by saying "eating" that doesn't include beverages, so I am still consuming my amounts of coke, pepsi, dr pepper, mr pibb, mt dew etc. I can't give those up, but with this diet I have decided to at least scale them back. Although I am drinking a vanilla coke from Huck's as I write this :)

I hope everyone had a safe and happy holiday weekend, and that you're not too full of chocolate bunnies, peeps, and jelly beans to function :) MMM I love Mr Jelly Belly's! By the way the song is by the Dixie Chicks, it's their first single off their new album it kicks ass.

19 Comments:

At 10:30 PM , Blogger Design Goddess said...

whoa! First to comment! How exciting!

First off, I hope your part of the world doesn't get hit by any tornadoes. Those are scary! We've been fortunate enough to never have one (knocking on wood as I type this!) but get some watches and warnings.

I think your girls might just surprise you, but even if they don't win a game, as long as they're learning and improving themselves and having fun, then you're a great coach! I've never agreed with pushing your players just to win, win, WIN! The best softball season I had was when we lost each and every game!

As for the ex, I really really REALLY don't like even just seeing mine. It makes me very uncomfortable and even more so b/c he's now married. I think you handled it very well and would contribute it to the wonderful woman you have in your life! :)

Hope you had a great Easter!

 
At 2:48 AM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

tornado's...oh damn..scarry things...
what kind of books do you like..? i read everything and can recommend some good books if i know what you like and what authors you like to read...i have about 7 books from library now im reading on...hope your teams do good..im pulling for my baylor girls...

 
At 5:10 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I couldn't imagine being in a tornado! When I was in the US there was a tornado watch and I was hoping it would not turn into a warning because I was home alone and have never even been close to one! I'm glad you lived through one that's for sure.
I don't like my ex either, not bc of heartbreak but bc he is an ass to put it nicely lol.
It sounds like you handled your ex really well and am glad to hear that you are in a good time in your life.
I have eaten too much chocolate yes =)
Have a great week!

 
At 7:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not a huge fan of the 'Chicks outside of music, but like Kanye and Christina, you have to respect their talent. A tune worthy of listening to while I enjoy some Jelly Belly's, whoooooooo!

 
At 8:45 AM , Blogger Linda said...

I hate the tornado sirens esp. when you live close to where it is located. Very very loud.

I think you handled your ex very well.

Sounds like you are a great coach and lots of luck to the girls :)

I have books everywhere in my house. They are in my bedroom, craft room, bookshelf full in the kitchen haahaa
I luv to read and read just about anything. I have Stephen King's The Stand but have not read it. Right now I am reading the The Chornicles of Narnia. It is all of them in great big book. I wanted to read it before seeing the movie. I am just that away. I always enjoy the book more then the movie. I just finished Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix.

Soda and chocolate is my weekness. I can't give them up.
peeps yuckkk yuckkkkie

I have always been a fan of the Dixie Chicks and I luv this new one by them.

Ok I am goin cause it looks like I wrote a book :)

 
At 9:14 AM , Blogger Sonya said...

How was your Easter?

 
At 1:31 PM , Blogger Phats said...

Design Goddess- Hmm maybe I should give a prize out for the first commenter? I hope you all don't get either :) you close to Cedar Point, we still have to take our trip! I am competitive, so losing is killing me

YellowDog- I am currently reading a King book, but I love Iris Johansen, Koontz, Hoag, Gardner those kind of books, murder/suspense I guess you would call them. I will take any suggestions :)

Carmel- You have a great week too, I laughed at the "ex is an ass!" haha

Wes- I love jelly belly's! soooo good. Yes the chicks are incredibly talented

Beading- you have to read the stand it's a great book!! I read that one back in my college days, and then watched the mini series on USA Network. It's really good worth the read. I love King. Soda is my main weakness

Sonya- it was wondeful I slept all day :) until the tornado sirens started going off that it is haha

Katina- I saw on the news some of the damage, one guy's whole back window of his car smashed by Hail. CRAZY!

 
At 3:26 PM , Blogger L said...

Hi Phats I just wanted to drop by and say HI.
I could never live without my Mountain Dew.

 
At 4:20 PM , Blogger Mr. Shife said...

Stay safe Phats. Tornadoes are scary. I remember them very well when my dad was stationed in North Dakota for 5 years. And I can't even remember what book I recommended but I am sure it was something Mrs. Shife was reading and I hope you like it.
Sorry about your ex but at least it is cool for you now. Getting over someone is indeed tough.
Good luck with the healthy eating.

 
At 10:36 PM , Blogger Lee Ann said...

I know what you mean. I have been eating healthier too, but it is hard to give up the soda. I love Mt.Dew.
Lately I have been drinking the flavored Dasani...it is really good! ;)

 
At 8:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

X's! Oh my!
I have 2. One is deceased (miss him)the other still roams the earth. We don't get along at all!
2 bad I can't reverse the order there. hahaa!
:o

 
At 12:00 PM , Blogger Mike H said...

We don't get tornados in Western Canada. Just rain. Lots and lots of rain.

 
At 3:45 PM , Blogger Jay Noel said...

Ouch, sounds like your ex can't take a hint.

3-2? So it's best of 5 over there...

Here, it's best of 7 - 4 singles and 3 doubles teams. Some of the larger schools even do best of 9, since they're that deep.

You've got a ton of seniors. Tennis is such a strange sport - akin to figure skating or gymnastics. It's tough to be really good at it unless you've been doing it all your life.

I have coached the USTA 12s here, and competed against other Sections - and I swear I had 11 and 12 year olds that will just destroy many #1 high school players.

One year, I was lucky to get a group of froshes that all played tennis year round, competitively. My upperclassmen were a little pissed, being denied their varsity spots. But listen, if this girl has been playing six she was 7, and can beat you 0,0 - guess who I'm going to put in the line-up.

 
At 9:22 PM , Blogger Bathroom Hippo said...



Idol sucked tonight. It's like the judges were bribed. Katharine got most of the air-time. Pathetic.

 
At 12:59 AM , Blogger Tina said...

Stay safe with those tornados, Phats. Scary stuff. Glad you are okay.

Congrats on your tennis team!

Eh,no worries bout the ex, seems she has issues she still needs to get over - tell her to Get Bent :p

I've been on a health kick with J, no carb thing, but that only seems to work for me when I eat meals with him - gotta have my Cokes - diet drinks suck!

Oh yea, and Idol was awesome tonight, lot of superb performances - cant wait to see Kellie kicked off :)

 
At 1:18 AM , Blogger Phats said...

Lori- Hi there, keep coming back :) I like to dew the dew too

Mr Shife- tornadoes are not fun, but getting used to them. You recommended a book by Brown, your wife is reading

Shannon- Not sure what I'd do without you eating all the chocolate for me ;)

Lee Ann- I love the flavored Dasani, we have those at work very good!

Star- you make me laugh :)

Mike H- Rain sucks too

Phoenix- It's best of 5 here some schools will play best of 7 but for our tournament it's best of 5. We won 2 in a row woohoo :)

Hippo- Sorry buddy I love katharine, I have Mcphever

Tina- thanks will do.

Icecold- I was very good I ate NO choco.. well maybe a little shh don't tell

 
At 2:05 AM , Blogger Bathroom Hippo said...



I think Katharine is a whore.

 
At 8:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someday, I will get the first comment, instead of the last!
;]
Tennis is a fun sport, U must b in good shape! I luv Steven King, he did a series called "the Gunslinger" (at least I think that's the name, or it might b the first book in the series) Anyhow, All the books are very good, I have read all 5, and am waiting on the 6 th. and last. I've been reading them over the last 8 yrs.
I HATE people who RIP the HEART out of thier VICTIMS!!! (and it's even harder when after they do this 2 us, we still have feelings for them. Life is just cruel. I don't get along with any of my X's either! Thank God! I look at them and go--WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING???
:)

 
At 5:50 PM , Blogger Jay Noel said...

Phats -

I haven't really played hardcore tennis in over two years. I had started playing in a men's league, and hurt my Achilles really bad.

I had gone 7-0 in singles before getting injured, though. It was great to be competitive again. My NTRP rating is 5.0

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home