Monday, April 10, 2006

Boiler Bits

Quick update, I am about to go to bed and realize my spring break is over :( boo!! Busy week this upcoming one with 4 tennis matches in 7 days. Anyway, I wanted to write about the great news going on in Boilermaker Country. We hired our new ladies hoop coach woohoo!! Those of you who don't know Coach Curry bolted and took the Texas Tech job after Marsha Sharp retired, leaving us without a coach ACK! However it was confirmed Friday that our new coach had been named in a weird roundabout way.

I would like to give a great big Boiler Welcome to Coach Sharon Versyp, WELCOME HOME COACH!! Here is the ironic part she was the coach at our arch rival Indiana University this past year, and we stole her away :) The formal announcement of the hiring wasn't suppose to take place until Monday, but IU's athletic Director was pissed so he made the announcement, what class they have down in Gloomington. I think a lot of people saw this coming as Coach Verspy is a Boilermaker graduate, started all 4 years, led them in scoring 3 of 4 years, and was the first Indiana Miss Basketball to sign with Purdue. She was believed by many to be one of the players responsible for getting the Boilers to the national stage. I think it's a great hire, and she will inherit a team that returns 3 of 5 starters who lost to #1 UNC on a buzzer beater in the sweet 16. In those three starters are 3 of the top 4 scorers from this season. The one big question mark is will all 3 recruits, (the class was ranked #2 nationally) end up becoming Boilers, we'll cross our fingers and wait and see. So welcome, Coach Versyp you have arrived to the big time.

Also a big ups to the Purdue cheerleading squad for once again finishing in top 6 at NCA nationals, way to represent and keep the tradition alive. HAIL PURDUE!! :)

Last but not least you still have time to ask some questions if you wanna get to know me better. Post them in the entry two down(Phat Tuesday's). Also I have chosen to type in bold so you can tell the difference for when I post and when Nuttina(thanks Mike H) posts.

Have a great start to your week! I will be adding some links on Tuesday as well.





3 Comments:

At 11:43 AM , Blogger Jay Noel said...

It must be nice for her to be going back "home."

Summer break really is just around the corner. Good luck with your matches.

 
At 1:36 PM , Blogger Mike H said...

She'll be Nuttina until she can explain the sudden identity change.

Rock Rock On, Nuttina

 
At 4:32 PM , Blogger Mr. Shife said...

I hope you enjoyed your Spring Break, now get back to work. And good news for Boiler nation. I will boil something tonight in honor of your fine institution.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home