Sunday, October 23, 2011

SUCCESS


Another homecoming in the books, and other than being tired and a little sore it was a success. The biggest success the Boilers shocked a top 25 Illinois team, and took back the cannon by a score of 21-14. Purdue got off to a 21-0 first half lead, and other than 2 late td's by Illinois controlled the game. I have to give mad props to our boys they came out fired up, enthusiastic and ready to play it was refreshing to see. As much crap as I gave Coach Hope a few weeks ago he did a great job with play calls, and managing in the game in the FIRST half. However, the second half showed why would be a good assistant, but not really a great head coach. This makes us now 4-3 and 2-1 in Big Ten play don't look now but we have a realistic shot at a bowl, who would have ever thought that. Yes, I know the schedule is incredibly difficult next two on the road, but lets be honest after Wisky, MSU, and Nebraska the big ten is just not that good this year so we have a shot!

As for the picks, I am not good at pro games haha :) here are the results, and thanks Thomas for picking with me!
Thomas- 9-5
Phats- 10-4

Some WILD finishes, and major upsets all over Saturday. That Wisconsin/Michigan State finish was unbelievable. All over my twitter feed that's all anyone was talking about and whether the correct call was made. I am not sure all I know hell of a play by MSU to take it. A lot of the Purdue people I follow on twitter feel that it should have never have been overturned including G&B Illustrated. It has to suck for Wisconsin to know that their shot at the National Title game could be over thanks to a call they may or may not have been correct. Who the hell saw Oklahoma losing?! Big UPS to Jef and Fuzz for the Texas Tech Red Raiders beating the Sooners. Clemson continues to roll, and after looking at their schedule not really seeing where they will lose in a pretty sad ACC, possibly the ACC title game?? I am still sticking to my pick, even if it pisses off Shife I see Boise State FINALLY getting their shot to claim the title, talking to Duck he has opened my eyes and afterall Boise is a lot like Purdue constantly disrespected and they constantly prove everyone wrong. I am FIRMLY on the Orange and Blue bandwagon.

Basketball season for the Boilers starts a week from Tuesday with our first exhibition game, and quite possibly the best news out of Purdue camp is that Robbie Hummel looks unbelievable. Apparently they held a scrimmage today, and one of the local journalists said "Hummel on FIRE raining in threes" For those that don't know 2 years ago our hoops team was in the top 4 rolling towards a possible #1 seed and final four appearance and we took a trip to Minnesota and Mr Hummel goes down and tears his ACL. We ended up in the sweet 16, and the other two all americans on our team that year decide to come back. First day of practice last year during Purdue's homecoming game ironically enough vs Minnesota Hummel goes down again and tears his ACL. A weird hush went over Ross Ade Stadium that Sat when word spread via social media. Again we went on to have a great season, but we were a National Title Contender. Now he will try to finish his Purdue career this year and I think even our fiercest rivals(iu, nd) want nothing more than Hummel to have a healthy season the young man is liked but just about everyone. So, fingers crossed!

NON SPORTS
Amazing Race- ROCKET STOP READING THIS WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS.
I liked the twins that were eliminated tonight, at times they were annoying but I don't see how siblings could run the race without fighting and be normal. I was SHOCKED when the father/son got off the bus and walked back because they didn't think they could go first class, and then I freaked thinking Ernie and his lady(Sorry can't remember her name) would get a penalty because I like them. I am still not sure there is a favorite yet, or a power couple so it will be interesting to see how the rest of the season unfolds.

I just finished a pretty good book by Harlan Coben. I have to get a shot every three weeks and I always take a book, and one week my nurse was talking to me about what kind of books I like etc and she suggested this author so I tried it. I really liked it, at times it was slow but for the most part it was great. He apparently has a series where the main character is a sports agent so I might have to try some of those next. I am currently reading the book Bonnie by Irish Johansen it's a part of a series pretty good.

Anybody dressing up for Halloween?? I am going as the situation, but with better abs :) haha. I am not a huge fan of Halloween, but we are going to a party so that will be fun. I do love the scary movie marathons. My favorite is the movie Halloween, there is nothing scarier than hearing that music that plays when Michael is about to strike.

Hope everyone has a great week
Phats

5 Comments:

At 5:00 AM , Blogger Bekah said...

I admit I giggled a little that you were sore from the game. did you help play??

 
At 9:57 AM , Blogger Jay Noel said...

I was gonna ask the same thing. Sore from Homecoming? Maybe I don't wanna know.

What kind of books do you like, by the way? I might be able to provide other suggestions.

 
At 4:14 PM , Blogger Thomas said...

I had a great time picking the games, Phats. Thanks for the opportunity and I can only imagine the exhilaration you felt as your team pushed aside the ILL-ini. Enjoy your week!

 
At 9:10 PM , Blogger Mr. Shife said...

Glad you had a good weekend, and Purdue did some BTFU. Mrs. Shife is not a fan of Ernie and Cindy on TAR. She mostly does not like Cindy. We are leaning a little towards Marcus Pollard and his wife, but no couple is really standing out this year.

 
At 5:26 PM , Blogger Mr. Shife said...

Looking forward to your picks. Do you have the courage to pick the Vandals to win one more time?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home