Sunday, May 29, 2011

I am BACCCCCCCCCCCK

Hello all, did you miss me? I think my long blog hiatus has come to an end I actually have time to write a little, and visit your awesome blogs. So much has happened this might be a long winded one but that's OK I have a lot to make up for. Lets get it started!

First off the most important thing is MY BIRTHDAY IS COMING UP!!!!!! June 5th, so you still have plenty of days to shop. You should have all known I would have returned by now to remind you of my blog since I love attention. I know some people don't like birthdays or celebrating them, but I do!! I don't feel old, nor do I feel my age so who cares about the numbers by name. Please feel free to stop by that day and wish me a Happy one :) yes I am begging for visitors.

Our 2011 tennis season came to a SUCCESSFUL end this past Saturday. Those that might not know I coach a Varsity girls tennis team at a very small school. This year was an amazing season, that took me on one of the most unforgettable runs ever. We finished our season with a record of 12-4 against one of our more difficult schedules in recent years, and finished runner up in our conference at 6-1. I had 7 AMAZING Seniors who have turned this program completely around, before they were eligible to play(they were in jr high) we had never had a winning season, and now they are the first four year class to graduate without a losing season quite a feat! Our Senior night was tough I kept telling myself Phats don't cry you can make it through this, and thank god I did. As our tournament started I was excited yet nervous because I was putting my fate in the hands of teenage girls that can always be scary haha. Anyway, the first step is called sectionals, and we have only won that 1 time in school history and that was 2 yrs ago when these Seniors were Sophomores. We started out strong with a 4-1 over a good team that is also a county rival, and that set up a match up with the team that took us down last year in the championship match a school that is 5x our size. I was so nervous before this match I couldn't sleep. I should have known though that these Seniors were not going to lose, and we DOMINATED them winning 4-1, and moving on to the championship. We played a team we had already beaten quite easily, but they had since changed their line up this match was TENSE! We took a quick 2-0 lead with wins at 1 singles and 2 Doubles and needed only 1 more point, unfortunately we would have to wait quite awhile. Thankfully our 1 Doubles team put away a shot in the third set to give us the third point and another sectional title!!! We eventually won 4-1. It was a great celebration, that included a firetruck escort on the ride home, which included a caravan through town. This was our prize for winning, pretty sweet eh?Unfortunately the way the tennis tournament is structured you get very little time to enjoy winning, as it's a quick turnaround and the next step was Regionals. Our school has never won regionals in tennis, so we were going for history. First up on a Tuesday we played a team that had beaten us 3-2 in the regular season, however my 1s player who is 76-6 in her career was incredibly sick the first time we played them. We headed to this match completely healthy, knowing pretty much we had to win at 1singles, 3singles, and 2doubles to win the match a lot of our coaching focus was on those two points. We quickly found ourselves down 2-1 as our 3 player was able to clobber her opponent in three sets, and things weren't looking great. Our 2 doubles team after winning set 1 dropped the second set, and my 1 player after winning her first set 6-0, fell 6-2 in the second OUGHT OH! Nerves were going BIG TIME my stomach was doing flips. Thankfully our 2 Doubles team started to take control, unfortunately I happened to look up and see my 1 player was down 3-4 in the third set. She played three straight amazing games though and closed it out tying the match at 2 with all eyes on 2 doubles. After going up big our girls were able to hold on, and the celebration started giving us a 3-2 win and putting us in the Regional Championship against the four time defending champ, and again another school about 5x our size. As before we knew to win and make history it would come down to winning 1 singles, 3 singles, and 2 doubles again. This one went fast, at least at four points as they took 1 doubles and 2 singles easily, and we rolled at 1 & 3 singles setting up a do or die match AGAIN for our 2 doubles team. Let me explain a little bit about my two doubs, one of the girls just started playing tennis last year, but she's so athletic she found herself in the varsity. Of course this match would also go 3 sets, and thank god our girls started off going up 4-1 and forcing an error up 5-2 they clinched game set match, and REGIONAL TITLE! Setting off a WILD celebration by our team as we won our schools first ever tennis regional title. After a big celebration dinner we headed home and once again were greeted by the firetruck escorts for our parade through town. This is what we got for our regional win, to go on our sectional trophy.
Unfortunately our season came to an end at the semi state level, but my #1 singles player is still alive in the individual tournament and will play again in two weeks so that's cool! Here's a picture of our escort after Sectionals taken by my assistant's coaches mom. So, as you can see I was busy wrapping a successful tennis season that ended with an 18-5 record, not too shabby!!

Other things going on
I hate that Scotty won American Idol, he was creepy when he sang, and I am not sure he will make it in country music. I liked Lauren, but at times I was put off by her personality, I do feel she won it though with her last song. Overall though it was a SOLID season, and the finale brought in huge numbers which is like a big FU to the doubters. Now summer reality shows start which I love!! My favorite is Big Brother, I can't wait it's my guilty pleasure. Also So you think you can dance returned which kind of kicks off summer tv I guess.

Been reading a great book in the Eve Duncan series by Iris Johansen unfortunately I haven't had time to finish it lately. I am ready to though and start the 10th book in James Patterson's murder club series. Anyone else reading anything good?

My summer is already jam packed and it hasn't even started. Our big summer trip this year is a whole family trip to the happiest place on earth, Disney World. My all time favorite vacation so I can't wait to go. It's in late July, and yes we know it will be extreme heat, but it's the only time we all could go. Besides been before in that time and we survived!! :)

Alright I wrote enough, sorry for the long post and tennis post but it was a great feeling and I wanted to try and share it with you all. Hope all is well with everyone!!
Phats

11 Comments:

At 10:46 PM , Blogger Bekah said...

Congrats!!!!!!!! I'm so excited for you!!! Good job on this season!!

 
At 10:26 AM , Blogger Thomas said...

Congratulations on defying expectations this season at the sectionals and regionals!

The summer show I'm most looking forward to is the return of Hell's Kitchen.

My wife and I went to Disney World for our honeymoon and can relate to how hot it gets. We went there in late August and struggled to keep cool. If we go again, it will be at a more temperate time of year. Looking forward to going is almost as exciting as the experience itself.

 
At 3:18 PM , Blogger Phats said...

Thanks Bekah!!

Thomas- Thanks it was a great ride. OO I should try Hells Kitchen I love top chef I am assuming similar? Yep Love disney our family is disney vets

 
At 4:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read your post.

 
At 8:32 PM , Blogger Rocketstar said...

Congrats on the tennis. Your bday and my better half's bday, same day. So happy one year wiser in advance!

 
At 10:49 PM , Blogger Phats said...

Knot- thanks??

Rocket- Thanks!! your wife must be pretty awesome then huh? haha

 
At 12:03 AM , Blogger TOPolk said...

Congrats on bringing home some hardware! Always a plus.

And I JUST heard Scotty McCreery's song. Not bad. I was expecting more since one of my coworkers wouldn't stop going on and on about him. Apparently he knew Scotty from back in the day (they're both from the same hometown in NC), so you know how that goes...

Anyways, good to see you back on the blogging circuit.

 
At 11:05 AM , Blogger _emily_rose said...

Hey, glad to hear the details of the tennis matches. I know you're proud of your girls! Have a good day :)

 
At 4:08 PM , Blogger Mr. Shife said...

Well congrats on the successful tennis season and congrats on getting older. I will try to remember but I probably will not because I am a horrible person so happy birthday. Enjoy your summer buddy.

 
At 10:55 PM , Blogger Phats said...

Topolk- Thanks!! Scotty is a baseball player too, threw out first pitch at a NC State game on his hometown visit.

Emily- Thanks!! :)

Shife- Thanks!! you're not a horrible person

 
At 6:53 PM , Blogger Design Goddess said...

Just to make your day, I stopped by to wish you a Happy Birthday! :)

And I replied to your comment on my blog. Check it out!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home