Monday, November 02, 2009

That was just plain ugly

Yeah, sometimes you just don't have it, and that's pretty much what happened to the Boilers on Saturday. On Halloween it was a frightening experience for sure in a 37-0 loss. I knew it was going to be a long day when Wisconsin, starting on their own 20, went 80 yards all on rushing plays and scored. We just looked like we never got off the bus for some reason, maybe they were out trick or treating the night before. Who knows, all I know is Michigan is up next and we need to just erase this one QUICKLY! The odd thing we could win out (Mich, Mich State, and IU) or loss all three who knows with this team, but one thing is for sure I am ready to move on from this ugly loss. Also the first exhibition basketball game is this Tuesday where the #7 ranked Boilermakers will take on California of Pennslyvania at 7pm. To say Boiler Nation is excited about the upcoming hoops season would be a huge understatement. Can't wait to see how we look the first time out, Boiler Up!

As for the picks, not too bad, but not great either. I think I proved that I don't follow the NFL that closely since I bit the big one predicting those games.
Phats- 8-7 (Overall 80-35)

Around College and Pro Football
Pro Football- Up until today the three undefeateds had one thing in common, anyone know what that is? Yes, all three had Boilermaker quarterbacks on their teams, of course Bree in New Orleans, Orton in Denver, and third stringer Curtis Painter with the colts! HA! Unfortunately the Broncos were beaten today to end that streak, but it was fun to brag about while it lasted.

I am not a Colts fan, just because I live in Indiana everyone assumes I root for them, NOPE sorry. I don't root against them, and I want to see them do good, but my team is the Saints. I have to root for my boy Drew Brees! I like Peyton Manning a lot though and respect him, but listening to him talk is like nails on a chalkboard. Can anyone say HICK!

Around College
I am admitting something here today, I was wrong. I have changed my mind about Boise State, because of what Oregon is doing. At first I didn't think it was that big of a win since my Boilers should have beaten the Ducks, but what they did to USC made me a believer, of both them and Boise. Could the Broncos be the best team in the country?

I would rank the top teams like this
1- Texas 2- Florida 3- Alabama 4- Boise State 5- Iowa.
Texas is the best, and probably most complete team in the country in my mind. That drubbing they put on OK State was impressive, although I wouldn't sleep on Florida they seem to be getting back on track as well. I think Alabama's not being able to do anything offense will bite them in the ass sooner or later. I am rooting for our Big Ten contender Iowa.

Speaking of Iowa, does anyone in college football have more luck on their side than the Hawkeyes? I wouldn't want to play them I know that they almost look like a team of destiny. So many close finishes, and trailing the worst team in the Big Ten Indiana, when they reeled off 27 straight 4th quarter points to pull off another come from behind win. I like Coach Ferentz so I hope they continue to do well.

I think the fact that Duke has a shot to win the ACC should prove just how bad the conference is, didn't the Blue Devils lose to Richmond?!?! The ACC is downright awful, I am pretty convinced they wouldn't win a head to head challenge with teams from Conference USA. Sorry Topolk!

Non Sports-
Did everyone have a nice Halloween? Alright who was what, what were your costumes? Kristen and I were Sally and Linus from peanuts, went to a party over at Purdue. Not a bad one had a good time.

So, I had a pretty good weekend, coming off Fall Break. Today my sister, brother in law, and nephews came over and we took my mom, and grandma to lunch. My nephews, the twins are 6, and the youngest 5, are a little crazy a times so it can be a zoo, but still funny. After lunch we hit the bookstore so I could pick up a book more on this in a bit. Anyway, my sister was telling me that one of the twins they have been having problems with lately writing on the furniture. Apparently, one day he wrote in ink pen on their couch "I love Harry Potter" So, yeah I laughed, but the story got a little funnier. They asked one of the twins thinking he did it, and his response "No I don't even know how to spell Harry Potter" so the other twin knew he was busted! haha they still can't get it out of their couch. Kids can be pretty entertaining.

I just finished a book that I literally could not put down, and was so pissed off at the ending! My sister recommend that I read this book called "The Hunger Games" and she and I have similar tastes in authors so I thought alright. Wow it was so good, I read it in 2 days! Anyway, it has a sequel so I picked that up today can't wait to start it! I love finding new books or authors it's always a real pleasure, I love to read.

Alright that's all I have, I am not even sure if anyone even reads this blog anymore. I think I could write that I am alien and nobody would know! For those of you that do thanks!! :)

Phats

12 Comments:

At 6:50 AM , Blogger Bekah said...

I'm here and I read - even the sports!! I was hiding on Halloween (in this neighborhood, it's best) - but I did have some cute little trick-or-treaters stop by. (I knew them, so I let them in.)

Loved the story about the kids writing on the furniture. I'd have died if it was my furniture, but it's funny to hear about it when it's someone else!

 
At 8:37 AM , Blogger TOPolk said...

Say what you want about the ACC, but just because we match up well with each other, doesn't make us a horrible conference. Sorry that we don't have an Iowa or a Florida who makes the rest of the conference looks embarrassingly bad. ;-)

 
At 2:36 PM , Blogger Phats said...

Bekah- I know! I appreciate it :) Yeah I laughed and my sister got mad haha. I did give her a tip on how to get the ink out, watch out Martha Stewart here I come.

Topolk- Oh come even you have to admit the ACC is BAD!!! Anytime 2 teams that lost to non d1 schools are in the top of your conference that's pretty bad. I'd take Iowa, PSU, and OSU over your your top three anyday. Especially played in our home stadiums toughest venues in the country.

 
At 3:25 PM , Blogger Tsofah said...

Sigh - no mention of the Illini? Oh Phats! How could you forget? ;)

Saturday I was me, all day and all night. One person in our household, though, was a monk. He handed out treats.

We only had ONE, that's ONE person stop at our home. (YUMMMMMMMM! more leftover candy for us!)

 
At 9:06 PM , Blogger Gary K Wray said...

Are you??????

 
At 10:49 PM , Blogger Phats said...

TSofah- Sorry!! I totally forgot both your teams! I am not sure how though. Congrats to ILL for their HUGE win.

Gary- Am I what?

 
At 12:31 PM , Blogger Mr. Shife said...

So you finally admit you are an alien? You must have been abducted to think that Boise State could beat Oregon now? I know they beat them in the first game of the year but they are two very different teams right now and I think the Ducks would roll. I am looking forward to college hoops as well. The Heels will look so different without Tyler in there.

 
At 5:05 PM , Blogger Phats said...

haha shife! You're definitely a loyal reader. I dunno Boise has looked really good it's hard to argue with their win over Oregon. Boo Heels!! sorry :)

 
At 7:55 PM , Blogger JM said...

Reading is one of my passions too!! I love finding a new author and going through all their publications.

 
At 11:01 AM , Blogger Duck said...

Yep, the "would Boise State beat Oregon now" argument is interesting. Oregon has definitely improved as the season's gone along, and they certainly didn't appear overly prepared for that game in Boise. I would be interested in seeing a rematch just to see how it would go. Maybe if we had a playoff system in college football we'd actually get an answer to the question...

 
At 3:18 PM , Blogger Phats said...

Angel- What kind of books do you like?

Duck- I hope there is never a playoff system as long as I am alive! If it aint broke don't fix it. BSU and Oregon could meet in a bcs game.

 
At 6:21 AM , Blogger Duck said...

College football is broken in terms of defining who the best team is, but it doesn't mean the games aren't fun to watch.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home