We're DANCING!!!
So, the people that read this that enjoy sports might not even enjoy this one since it pertains to the womens team, but I am so fing excited I had to post about it! The Purdue women won the Big Ten Tournament this past Sunday and in doing so claimed the automatic berth to the NCAA tournament. Usually this is no big deal because we are almost always in shoot we have gone to the dance 14 straight years, however only winning this tournament guarenteed that this year with a 17-14 record entering the game. An outside shot of getting an at large, but lets just say I am glad I don't have to sweat that bubble. I am so proud of this team after what they have been thru this season check out all they have gone thru.
First off we graduated all american and current WNBA player Katie Gearlds(our leading scorer), and our leading rebounder and 3rd leading scorer Erin Lawless(also in the WNBA). That's two starters
July- Word comes that our All American candidate Lyndsey Wysdom-Hylton has torn her ACL playing for USA basketball in Russia, out for the season. That's starter number 3 out.
2 weeks before practice it's announced Jodi Howell will miss the entire season due to shoulder surgery after injuring it in the NCAA tournament. She is our best 3 point shooters, and that is starter number 4 out.
So we lost 4 starters and our only returning starter being point guard FaKhara Malone who is 5ft3 and was never asked to be a scorer in her Freshman year of play. a few games in she gets knocked out has a concussion and is forced to miss 3 games that's our entire starting line up from the previous year.
You add to that we are playing a team of role players, and playing a top 10 schedule that included, UConn, Notre Dame, Duke, ODU, North Carolina, Washington, and Gonzaga it didn't look good. After struggling thru that schedule they somehow found a way to be in the hunt for the big ten title on a 6 player rotation, and ended up 3rd and getting the 3 seed for the big ten tournament.
Nobody not even the diehard fans thought this team was capable of winning three straight games, but they proved us wrong yet again. They beat IU in the opener. Followed that up by defeating Iowa after trailing by 17 points, and then when Kiki Freeman's rebound basket went thru the net with no time remaining secured the NCAA berth by defeating Illinois 58-56. I nearly killed myself jumping up and down at Conseco Fieldhouse with all the other Boiler fans. So proud of this team. We should have known, the Big Ten Tournament is pretty much the Boilermaker Invite. This tournament has been held for 14 seasons. Here are the Boilers totals.
Never had to play on Thursday(meaning always a top 5 seed)
10 Championship Game appearances
7 Championships
a 28-7 overall record in the thing.
Other coaches have squawked how we have an unfair advantage because it's in Indy and our fans flock there, tough shit man! Get some fans willing to drive.
So, now it's onto the NCAA tournament, and we are a host school so we will be playing in the friendly confines of Mackey Arena. The selection committee had to be jumping up and down too because it's all about money, and at 17-15 I am not sure we would have gotten an at large, but at 18-14 we're comfortably in. Even in a down year. Now lets up the Mens Big Ten Tournament we'll be as fun for us!
Enjoy the exciting finish
BOILER UP!
Phats


15 Comments:
woohooo I'm first :)
cue the happy dance muzak....
speakin of dancin - congrats and good luck to your team :)
yea pretty tough over here 2 pts at the end....great season though
Good for you!
~Jef
woohoo
Tina- I hope VCU gets in, and I hope Purdue doesn't have to play them they are going to be PISSED!
Jef- Thanks sir like your manwhore icon still
Indy- HELL YA
Tradition will win out a good deal of the time. Its hard to hold back winners. Give em hell.
Congrats to the Lady Boilers.
I am glad you are having a good year with your basketball teams.
Just wanted to say "hi"!
Thanks for the visit:) I saw a pair of Homer pj pants while out shopping and thought of you! LOL!
CONGRATS!!!!
I'm looking forward to March and it'll be even better to have a team to root for!
Congrats to the women!
May I have this dance?
Woohoo! Congrats.
Have a great week Phats!
~xo
Lee Ann
Hey Phats - I actually did watch the clip and enjoyed it! Haven't been around much this last month but this is my week to catch up. Totally agree with your prediction of the Aussie guy being the next Idol winner - said so from Hollywood week. Ryan also totally needs to let go of this whole 'ignore Simon' thing. Simon is so spot on with his feedback and I think he has been great this season. Well, at least you and I are fans of ONE thing together - even if not on the field, right? Take care.
Congrats on the team... I'm even worse with basketball teams than I am with football :)
Hope your picks go far!
Ohh.. American Idol -- My pick is David Cook to make it far (not seeing the constantine connection, though.) Did like Amanda, but she better bring it!
Tuesday was boring at the beginning and end - rocked in the middle!
Later!
I saw your new girlfriend over at Jef's site. She's cute, but not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Good for the Girls!!! (I don't think Bama has EVER had a good women's team and we just fired our current coach, so who knows if we'll ever be any good?) I hope Purdue goes far!!!
I can't wait for March Madness! I really can't believe that Bama beat Florida (we actually looked REALLY good), but now we gotta play the 1st seed Miss State. It will be tough!! And I don't really believe in miracles this unbelievable...us winning the tourney, which would be our only chance of post-season play...but it's still good to see us playing with conviction and it gives me hope for next year!
For now, my plans are to cheer for Texas, Vanderbilt, Purdue, and some other small team I decide is my favorite once the tournament starts!! :-)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home