BOILERRRRRRRR UPPPPP!
It's time again for another Boilermaker football post! Tomorrow the mighty Boilers travel to Minnesota to take on the 1-2 Golden Gophers. Regardless of records Minnesota usually plays us pretty well, and it's usually a shootout. The game will be a late one, starting at 9pm EST and will be aired on ESPN 2, GO PURDUE! On a side note how about those Cubbies!? Will they be able to pull it off finally??
This week's guest picker is one of my favorite bloggers, because she actually likes my sports posts, and doesn't complain when I do post about sports. It's none other than Cheryl, the biggest Alabama football fan I know. For helping me pick this week, I simply say to her ROLLLLL TIDE! On with the picks, note that Duck's Boise State team has this week off.
San Francisco at Pittsburgh- For Rocket(Pittsburgh)
Phats- The only NFL game being picked, after a tense first half, the steelers pull it off. They are my darkhorse to make the super bowl
PITTSBURGH 31 san francisco 17
Cheryl- I'm trying to pushback all my bad memories of Pittsburgh from my childhood. As a Dallas Cowboy fan since inception, I watched my boys lose to the Steelers more times than I can count. But today my hatred is really reserved more for the Redskins, so I am going to give a little bit of love to Pitt this week. Actually this is a really nice match up between two teams with identical records. But I think that the homefield advantage will help the Steelers. And I am giving them a slight edge
PITTSBURGH 28 san francisco 24
EDIT FINAL SCORE PITTSBURGH 37 san francisco 16
Phats = WOOHOO(I was close!)
Cheryl = WOOHOO
Penn State at Michigan- For Scott(Michigan)
Phats- This was requested in the comments so Cheryl didn't get a chance to pick it. UM struggled in a loss at APP State, and then suffered a hangover game vs the Ducks. They seemed to right the ship vs lifeless Notre Lame. This week they play Penn State, probably the favorite of the Big Ten. If PSU wins this one their schedule sets up nicely, but that's a big if. I wouldn't be surprised to see UM come back and win the big ten. However, I think PSU will squeak this one out, and grandpa I mean Joe Pa will be smiling
PENN STATE 21 michigan 17
Cheryl- I'm here to add my 2cents in for the Penn State-Michigan game. I actually think Michigan might pull this one out! Penn State sure hasn't impressed me too much in their first 3 wins. I would certainly LIKE PSU to win, but my gut feeling says Michigan's gonna pull it out. So Scott..how you like that?
Mich 28- Penn State 24
EDIT FINAL SCORE MICHIGAN 14 penn state 9
Phats = D'oh
Cheryl = WOOHOO
Duke at Navy- For David(Duke)
Phats- Congrats Devils on the big win, but don't expect another one until basketball season starts. Midshipmen roll past the Blue Devils
NAVY 35 duke 3
Cheryl- I have to say that I was so proud of Duke for winning last week, ending the longest losing streak in America. Now the Blue Devils are celebrating and aren't so anxious for basketball season to start. Infact, I am going to take a wild guess and say that they will win two games in a row for the first time since 03
DUKE 20 navy 17
EDIT FINAL SCORE NAVY 46 duke 43
Phats = WOOHOO
Cheryl = D'oh
New Mexico State at Auburn- For Pissy and Leeann(Auburn)
Phats- Auburn had a perfect schedule setting them up for a contender season, except someone forgot to tell them. They won't need much to beat the Aggies. Tigers take it
AUBURN 41 new mexico state 21
Cheryl- Even though i'm a Bama fan, I don't really rejoice over every Auburn loss. I figure that if they win, we look better when we beat them. (My daughter Delany on the other hand does all sorts of happy dances when Auburn loses!) I'm actually thinking that Auburn will get more of a contest from NMSU since I hear that the Aggies have a pass happy offense. Still, Auburn will give their fans a reason to celebrate(albeit briefly) and the trustees will wait for another week to fire up the jets to find a new coach
AUBURN 21 new mexico state 17
EDIT FINAL SCORE AUBURN 55 new mexico state 20
Phats = WOOHOO
Cheryl = WOOHOO
Kent State at Akron- For Design Goddess(Kent State)
Phats- Hmm Akron is probably glad to see the MAC schedule start after a difficult non conference, unfortunately for the Zips they run into the Golden Flashes. KSU is a contender in the MAC this year and DG's boys will bring home the win
KENT STATE 31 akron 17
Cheryl- I'm one of the biggest sports fans in the universe, but even I had to some research to predict this one. My research did reveal that both schools are in Ohio, that Akron has one of the best names in sports. Yep, they're the Zips but they won't be Zippy enough to stop Kent State
KENT STATE 17 akron 7
EDIT FINAL SCORE AKRON 27 kent state 20
Phats = D'oh
Cheryl= D'oh
Rice at Texas- For Gary and Cheryl(Texas)
Phats- Texas has just looked awful against bad teams, and Rice is a bad team. Does that mean the horns will struggle yet again. Nope they will win this one convincingly, Hook em horns!
TEXAS 33 rice 7
Cheryl- Texas has looked abysmally ordinary this year, and that coupled with the recent arrests make UT look like the Miami of the 90's, have made it quite painful to watch the Longhorns so far. I just hope that the quarterback with the best name in the country(Cowboy Colt McCoy) will soon come into his own -- and I think he will during this game. I don't think the Owls have much of a shot
TEXAS 24 rice 13
EDIT FINAL SCORE TEXAS 58 rice 14
Phats = WOOHOO
Cheryl = WOOHOO
Northern Illinois at Idaho- For Shife(Idaho)
Phats-NIU used to be one of the better MAC teams, but have fallen on some hard times lately, including an embarrassing loss to Southern Ill. Idaho will give shife plenty to cheer about Saturday, as they cage the Huskies
IDAHO 31 northern illinois 21
Cheryl- Illinois and Idaho? Do they actually play football in that part of the country? I kind of thought that snow skiing and potato eating were more the style there. But, again after doing some research on this game, I learned that NIU does have one thing they can be proud of. They actually have the same record as Notre Dame right now. WOOHOO! Go Huskies! (Oops sorry I forgot that that means their record is 0-3 Mmm not so good!) So I'm going to go out on a limb and say they get their first win because Idaho is also struggling at 1-2.
NORTHERN ILLINOIS 13 idaho 10
EDIT FINAL SCORE NOTHERN ILLINIOS 42 idaho 35
Phats = D'oh
Cheryl = WOOHOO
Wyoming at Ohio- For Skiingred(Ohio)
Phats- Wyoming had a good shot of beating Boise State last week, and couldn't pull it off. Ohio gave Va Tech a game. I see this one being tight but in the end the Cowboys prevail.
WYOMING 21 ohio 10
Cheryl- This looks to be a pretty even matchup between a pair of 2-1 teams. But I am going to go for a win by Wyoming in a really good game!
WYOMING 24 ohio 22
EDIT FINAL SCORE WYOMING 34 ohio 33
Phats = WOOHOO
Cheryl = WOOHOO
Ball State at Nebraska- For Travis(Nebraska)
Phats- It pains me to root against BSU, the fighting David Letterman's! For those who don't know Dave went to school there, and put it on the map. Unfortunately the Cards get the Huskers right after the USC game, a pissed off Nebraska takes it out on the Cards in Lincoln.
NEBRASKA 41 ball state 14
Cheryl- After Nebraska's beat down last week by USC, they will be ready to roll. What a better place to roll than against a team called Ball State?
NEBRASKA 31 ball state 13
EDIT FINAL SCORE NEBRASKA 41 ball state 40
Phats = WOOHOO(I got Nebraska's score right, and I was rooting for the cards)
Cheryl = WOOHOO
Texas Tech at Oklahoma State- for Jef and Fuzz(Texas Tech)
Phats- This one is pretty simple, OK State sucks, and Tech is playing pretty well. Red Raiders will roll in this one
TEXAS TECH 38 oklahoma state 21
cheryl- Oklahoma State has been revealed as a much weaker team than they were expecing(IE the blowout by Georgia and then by Troy, YES TROY!) I see no reason to think that now they won't get another official beat down from the Red Raiders
TEXAS TECH 42 oklahoma state 10
EDIT FINAL SCORE OKLAHOMA STATE 49 texas tech 45(bad loss for Tech)
Phats = D'oh
Cheryl = D'oh
East Carolina at West Virginia- For Angel Jr(West Virginia)
Phats- WVU has proven to be the #4 team in the country just waiting for USC, LSU, or OU To falter so they can move up. The Mountaineers are for real, and will steam roll the Pirates.
WEST VIRGINIA 42 east carolina 14
Cheryl- West Virginia has a seemingly endless supply of good running backs this year and they look GOOD! They will continue to roll this Saturday
WEST VIRGINIA 28 east carolina 14
EDIT FINAL SCORE WEST VIRGINIA 48 east carolina 7
Phats = WOOHOO
Cheryl = WOOHOO
BIG GAME OF THE WEEK South Carolina at LSU
Phats- UPSET ALERT! I think SC is capable of playing the role of spoiler, but I am not sure they will. If this game were in South Carolina I'd go for it, but LSU is too good at home, Tigers in a squeaker
LSU 31 south carolina 28
Cheryl- I agree with PHATS making this the big game of the week. I think it has all the potential of being a really fun game to watch. I really love the Ole Ball Coach now(Not so much when he was a winning monster at Florida and we had to play him all the time!) And I still get a kick out of waiting for the first moment that the visor comes flying off. And he makes every game interesting, with the potential for some Play He Pulls Out of His Butt and shocks us all!! But I really think that LSU is crazy good this year. I have watched each of their games and they seriously scare me! I'm afraid it could be ugly... but I reserve the right to be shocked by it anyway!
LSU 35 south carolina 17
EDIT LSU 28 south carolina 16
Phats = WOOHOO
Cheryl = WOOHOO
Georgia at Alabama-For Gary, Cheryl, and Kimberly(Bama)
Phats- I am really nervous to even pick against Bama, I don't want Gary to yell at me again! This is a tough one, I really am not sold yet that Alabama is as good as people think, but I am not sure Georgia is either. I think it will be a great game, and the Tide are at home so they will get those great calls, right Gary? So, ROLLLLL TIDE ROLL!!
ALABAMA 35 georgia 31
Cheryl- ESPN's gameday crew will be there! Gary and I will be there! There will be much celebrating and much rejoicing at the College Football Promise Land this week. And that's all before the game even starts! I just hope we can keep our perfect season going against a pesky Georgia Bulldog team. The good news is that the Dawgs haven't really shown the promise that they were hinting at before the season started; they've struggled offensively and haven't been incredibly stout at defense. The bad news? This is the SEC and anything can happen on gameday!! The Better news? The second coming of the football coach Messiah is in charge in Tuscaloosa(c'mon now this is the kind of reputation Coach Saban is already earning and who am I to not join in the chorus? I am so drinking the Crimson Kool Aid LOL!) In all seriousness, it will be a tough game and I am just hoping I can emerge from it alive and not have a heart attack right there in Bryant Denny Stadium
ALABAMA 28 georgia 17
EDIT FINAL SCORE GEORGIA 26 alabama 23 OT
Phats = D'oh
Cheryl = D'oh
Purdue at Minnesota
Cheryl- I am just so excited for Phats and all the rest of the Boilermaker fans this year. They are doing great and i've seen them mentioned by many people as the sleeper in the Big Ten this year. They are 3-0 and I see no reason for their streak coming to an end this week. I predict that Phats will be doing the splits, herky jumps, cartwheels, and backhandsprings before halftime even arrives. By the beginning of the fourth quarter he will be doing standing back tucks. He will be one happy camper! (And as an extra touch, he will be laughing evilly because Notre Dame will have lost again!)
PURDUE 31 minnesota 10
Phats- Well, whenever we play Minny it usually ends up in a wild shootout, regardless of records. This year might be the exception. I am trying not to jump too far ahead but are going to be a tough out in the Big Ten this year, and going to Minnesota will get us started off on the right foot. They are dead last in pass defense, so Curtis Painter, our QB is probably licking his chops, since he is passing for close to 400 yards a game. Boilers roll, and get ready for their big match up with Notre Lame.
PURDUE 52 minnesota 17
EDIT FINAL SCORE PURDUE 45 minnesota 31
Phats = WOOHOO
Cheryl = WOOHOO
FINAL STATS
Phats = 9 WOOHOO's 5 D'ohs
Cheryl = 10 WOOHOO's 4 D'ohs
Hail Hail to old Purdue all Hail to our old gold and black
Hail Hail to old Purdue our friendship may she never lack
Ever Grateful, ever true thus we raise our song a new FIRE UP!
Of the days we've spent with you, all Hail our old Purdue
GO BOILERS!
BTFU!!!
Hail Hail to old Purdue our friendship may she never lack
Ever Grateful, ever true thus we raise our song a new FIRE UP!
Of the days we've spent with you, all Hail our old Purdue
GO BOILERS!
BTFU!!!


13 Comments:
Yay!! Thanks for adding the Mountaineers!!
Woo hoo!!!! That was SO fun to make my picks for you! Now just crossing my fingers that my games all work out the way I want them to!
Good luck tomorrow!!
Boiler Up!!!!!!
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!
What about my pick for Michigan to upset Penn St this weekend???
Go Boilers and go Vandals!! I must politely disagree with Cheryl's pick but I will be nice to her since she has the recommendation of Phats.
i just want mr.shife to be on top for a change.. i do all the work over in your sidebar.
Angel- Not a problem sorry I didn't do it sooner
Cheryl- I can always count on you for good sports predictions! ROLL TIDE! I hope they get it done
Scott- I added the wolverines, I hope you don't mind the pick the though
Shife- I picked the Vandals! I think you'll see a good one and a victory
Cher- leave it to you to take my blog to the gutter, even though I laughed at your comment haha
Hey Scott--
I'm here to add my 2cents in for the Penn State-Michigan game. I actually think Michigan might pull this one out! Penn State sure hasn't impressed me too much in their first 3 wins. I would certainly LIKE PSU to win, but my gut feeling says Michigan's gonna pull it out. So Scott..how you like that?
Mich 28- Penn State 24
But I heard Canadians like it on top.
And oh Shife--I really chose Northern Illinois as a pity choice. It could go either way!I'll throw in a Go Vandals anyway!!
Thanks for putting that one up there for me. I hope Auburn wins, but I have a feeling they are not going to have a good season. This is a rebuilding year for them.
Thank you so much for the happy birthday wish!
Have a great weekend!
~xo
Lee Ann
well, i like being o top for a reason.
Georgia WON!!! ROFL! Anyway, OSU and the VOLS were both winners!!!!!! I don't like Pittsburgh either b/c I am a Browns fan. Hubby is a Cowboys fan!
Have a great one!~
wow- your predictions are spot on phats!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home