Thursday, September 14, 2006

LETS GO BOILERS!


Ahh yes, it's Friday so that means another Friday Fire Up preview of the upcoming Purdue game. First lets take a look back shall we? Purdue defeated a Miami OH team that gave a great effort, before falling 38-31 in OT. Again even though it was a win it was WAY too close. Our young defense struggled and we lost another DB, which is our weakest position. We now have 2 true freshmen starting there. Folks to put it plain and simple we didn't play very well, but we won and that is all that matters right Egan? Looking back at my predictions I did quite well, as I was 6-0 and I only missed badly on the UAB win, it was a hell of a lot closer that's for sure. Moving onto this week.

Saturday at 1pm the Mighty Boilers will face the Ball State Cardinals, the alma mater of one mister David Letterman. It is also the alma mater of my sister and father(played QB there as well). Last week they lost a heartbreaker 24-23 to Indiana when their kicker missed a PAT(idiot). Last time we played BSU was two years ago when we trounced them 59-7 and the Purdue student section started chanting "Ball State High School" during the third quarter. I also remember the kids from Muncie not being too happy with us because we went for a 4th down in the first half with time winding down to go up 45-0. The Boilers are young and have struggled will this one be a different outcome??

NO! Quite simply I don't see BSU pulling off the upset for a couple of reasons. One, I think they are emotionally spent after barely falling to IU, and will come in flat. Also, we keep getting better and better and we get one of our better defensive players back this week which will help. I am hoping this will be the first game where our QB, Curtis Painter will put it all together and if that happens it will be a long day for Charlie Cardinal. I don't see their defense being able to stop us, but in the meantime they are a pass oriented team, so our young DB's will be tested yet again. Look for the Boilers to step up and stop the Cards early and often. BOILER UP!

Now onto some predictions.
Pillow Fight of the week
Southern Ill at Indiana- A powerhouse in their division will the Salukis be able to hang with the Hoosiers, answer is yes. However with IU coach Hep going in for emergency brain surgery IU pulls one out for the coach
IU 35 So. ILL 28
EDIT FINAL SCORE Southern Illinois 35 indiana 28 d'oh!

Blogger Friends teams
UAB vs Georgia- Sorry Kayla looks like UAB has another tough one, who the hell makes their schedule. I see a good first half effort but not enough to stay with the Dawgs, GO GEORGIA BULLDOGS! UGA 42 Uab 14
EDIT FINAL SCORE UGA 34 UAB 0 WOOHOO!(sorry kayla)

Washington vs Fresno- Egan, another tough test for UW, this will be a tough one, and unfortunately I don't like UW's chances. Give me another team with Bulldogs for their mascot
Fresno 31 UW 20
EDIT FINAL SCORE UW 21 Fresno 20 D'oh!

Texas Tech vs TCU - Gee Fuzz taking the world tour of Texas? This will be a good game I bet. TCU has to be up to beat a big 12 team, and is actually ranked higher. Although I see the Raiders pulling this one out, shocking the horned frogs in the final minutes.
Texas Tech 35 TCU 31
EDIT FINAL SCORE TCU 12 Texas Tech 3 D'oh!

Alabama vs UL Monroe- What Cheryl and Gary the girls scouts too busy to play the tide? haha :) The tide should ROLL early and ROLL often. ROLL TIDE!
Alabama 52 Monroe 21
EDIT FINAL SCORE Alabama 41 UL Monroe 7 WOOHOO!

Idaho vs Idaho State- Does the winner get a lifetime supply of potatoes shife? This might be the best shot for the Vandals to get a win, and since I don't know much about this rivalry, I am going with the upset. Vandals Win!
Idaho 21 Idaho State 14
EDIT FINAL SCORE Idaho 27 Idaho State 24 WOOHOO!

LSU vs Auburn- One of the bigger games of the week, doing this for Pissy! I have to admit I have a friend(well kind of) who went to Auburn and he is very arrogant so it turned me off to Auburn, and I have a good friend who went to Bama, and If I ever chose Auburn to win he'd punch me! So I must choose LSU in this one, but it will be close
LSU 28 Auburn 21
EDIT FINAL SCORE Auburn 7 LSU 3 D'oh!

Texas vs Rice- Another one for Gary geesh! I have to admit I am not a fan of Texas, and I am not sure why?? I do like Cat Osterman though does that score me some points? I was glad OSU won last week at least for the Big Ten! Texas will rebound, and rebound BIG time vs the overmatched Owls, Horns roll.
Texas 58 Rice 3
EDIT FINAL SCORE Texas 52 Rice 7 WOOHOO! (I was close)

Duke vs Va Tech- David does Duke still play football? haha! Sorry but this will be a long day for the Devils, but look at it this way, we keep getting closer and closer to basketball season.
Va Tech 58 Duke 14
EDIT FINAL SCORE Va Tech 36 Duke 0 WOOHOO!

Kent State vs Miami OH- Last but not least Design Goddess' team! GO KSU! I know absolutely nothing about KSU football, great basketball school though. Miami is finding their groove and took us to OT, so I must go with the Redhawks, sorry Design!
Miami 35 KSU 3
EDIT FINAL SCORE Kent State 16 Miami Oh 14 D'oh!

Finally the big game
Purdue vs BSU- I believe we will finally going to see Purdue play well, I hope anyway. They will come out firing, score early, and not look back. Boilers roll to 3-0
PURDUE 42 ball state 21
EDIT FINAL SCORE Purdue 38 Ball State 28 WOOHOO!(not that close)
FINAL TOTAL 6 WOOHOO's 5 D'ohs


"Hail Hail to old Purdue all Hail to our old gold and black Hail Hail to old Purdue our friendship may she never lack Ever grateful ever true thus we raise our song anew FIRE UP! Of the days we've spent with you, all Hail our old PURDUE
GO BOILERS!"

BTFU

39 Comments:

At 12:27 AM , Blogger LBseahag said...

boiler up, pistol pete...

and phats, as usual, get bent...

 
At 12:45 AM , Blogger Phats said...

I dislike gonzaga! I dunno why I just do. Do they even play football there?

 
At 12:48 AM , Blogger Phats said...

SEAHAG!! I miss you when you don't come around :(

PISTOL PETE STILL ROCKING BIG COMET

 
At 6:27 AM , Blogger starbender said...

I just luv football!
Especially Sunday!!!
:)

 
At 6:45 AM , Blogger David Amulet said...

I think they'll have a better time with Ball State than they did with Miami (OH).

Purdue 31, Ball State 24.

And thanks for not listing your Duke football prediction. It would be too easy anyway, putting them in that losing column week after week ...

-- david

 
At 7:30 AM , Blogger Cheryl Wray said...

Yes, we are officially playing Cream Puff U for our game this week! Ugh!! We have season tickets for all the home games and this year they are almost ALL like this--Vanderbilt and Auburn the only home SEC games and then teams like Hawaii, UL-M, Duke, and Florida ATLANTIC. Last year, ALL the great teams were at home--Florida, Tennesee, LSU. It was a great home stand last year!
But, I tell you what, we NEED a resounding win BAD. We are really doing great at our passing offense, but we can't seem to get it in the end zone. Very frustrating! I wish we could score as much as your prediction! Fingers crossed!!
The really good game--although I don't like either one of them--will be Auburn vs. LSU. THE game of the week, in my opinion! It will probably decide the SEC west champ, even though it's just third week. Should be a good one to watch!!
LOL--sorry for this LONG post!!!
Go Purdue!!!!!

 
At 8:05 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

THank you so much for your recent visit! I hope the fact that I am numb when it comes to football won't prevent you from coming back again. [My husband would be disgusted by my comment.] I do however wish you a successful season.

 
At 9:07 AM , Blogger Design Goddess said...

Man, we only get THREE points?!!! Hope you're wrong there buddy boy! :D

 
At 9:08 AM , Blogger Design Goddess said...

Oh and yes, it's about LA.

 
At 11:43 AM , Blogger Big Pissy said...

Phats~

I was wondering why you didn't mention Auburn vs. LSU!

It's pretty bad when an Alabama fan has to point out an Auburn game. ;-)

I'm not interested in football, really. I only watch the Auburn games b/c both of my daughters and my husband are alums.

So WAR EAGLE!

and Go Purdue!!! :)

 
At 11:46 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

OK, Where's my Longhorns prediction too?? Love my Blazers (good luck against the Bulldogs), and of course the TIDE... BUT don't leave out the Longhorns..

Not that we need a prediction this week against RICE... :)

GO BLAZERS!
ROLL TIDE!
HOOK'EM HORNS!

Boiler up! (that one's for you Phats, even though you're getting nasty talking about our cream puff schedule this week)

 
At 1:22 PM , Blogger Phats said...

Star- Pro football is cool, but it doesn't hold a candle to the college game in my eyes. I am rooting for the Colts and Saints though

David- I hope it's not that close, i get too nervous in close games! I am sorry I left out Duke, they about beat Wake last week though! GO DEVILS! :) Alana Beard, not a fan of hers though. I did predict their game though

Cheryl- We need a resounding win as bad as you all do! Lets hope for both of us to get the wins. Not being all that great in the red zone is BAD! GO BAMA!

Dawn- I will not hold that against you, and I will come back :)

Jef- GO RED RAIDERS. That is awesome they did that with tickets too funny. TCU has had some good runs in college football, hopefully TT stops em.

DG- I will eat my words and my post if i am!
DG- I am sorry to hear that, I hope LA comes around :(

Mimi- Fair food is expensive, but next time go for the oreos, you WON'T Be sorry!

Pissy- I added it :) Sorry but my friend that went to Auburn turned into a real jerk, and well it soured me on the Tigers.

Gary- Added the Texas pick as well. I love that you said Boiler up that rocks man! :) I like UGA even though we owe them for two tough bowl losses.

 
At 1:55 PM , Blogger Phats said...

HELL YA BOILER UP!

 
At 3:43 PM , Blogger Phats said...

haha I just don't like them, I really don't even know that much about them. When I was in school we played them and beat them in the sweet 16 at the Pit.

 
At 4:30 PM , Blogger Cheryl Wray said...

Hey Phats--thought you might enjoy reading this.
http://www.rolltide.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8000&ATCLID=608674

It's a story on all the work and the "behind the scenes" stuff on Gameday with the Bama cheerleaders.
Thought of you when I read it. (smile)

 
At 4:47 PM , Blogger Phats said...

Thanks Cheryl great read! :)

 
At 5:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did a football pool for work today. Or in other words, I gave some guy $5 for no good reason. HAhaha

Heart you!

 
At 5:14 PM , Blogger Phats said...

haha I have actually been to UW's gym I wasn't cheering but watching the lady boilers 2 yrs ago lose a heartbreaker to UGA in the sweet 16 when Erika Valek's lay up rolled out so sad.

Steph- good luck, I hope you win and keep mentioning my name at family gathers HAHA

 
At 5:44 PM , Blogger Phats said...

UW's the husky's did i spell that right this time?

Gonzaga has a new gym

 
At 6:38 PM , Blogger Design Goddess said...

Do you like your words baked, fried, or sauted?! :D

 
At 7:14 PM , Blogger Phats said...

hmm I will take Baked Design :)

 
At 8:12 PM , Blogger Cinderella said...

All I can say is BTFU! Good luck Phats!

 
At 9:58 PM , Blogger Phats said...

WOOHOO and GO EAGLES GO!!
Thanks shannon you're awesome

 
At 10:32 PM , Blogger Big Pissy said...

Thanks,Phats!

And c'mon! don't hold one arrogant Auburn grad against the whole school! ;-)

It's gonna be a tough, close game for sure....

 
At 12:40 AM , Blogger Phats said...

Welcome pissy :) Sorry for the prediction haha.

I dunno he is a real jerk

 
At 1:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a great weekend!

 
At 11:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanx for the words to the song dude- now i can sing along with the band!

 
At 11:12 AM , Blogger AngelConradie said...

hey phats!
i told you i been doing some reading... tell me what you think of this site...

i so enjoy your predictions!

 
At 7:04 PM , Blogger Design Goddess said...

Hmmm....how many points did you say Kent would get???!!!

Hope you're hungry!!! It's your choice, yours or mine! ;)

 
At 1:17 AM , Blogger Phats said...

Hmm May I have a napkin and a fork please?

 
At 3:59 AM , Blogger Will said...

You did pretty good with the tips Phats. And you got the score on the Indiana/Illinois spot on, just the wrong way round.

Well done Purdue, and they'll be showing the highlights on English TV today.

 
At 9:13 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

ben, I was going to point out the same thing!

 
At 12:40 PM , Blogger the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

Woohoo - Go Purdue!

 
At 3:37 PM , Blogger Design Goddess said...

I love it when you have to eat your words!!! tee hee

 
At 3:42 PM , Blogger Big Pissy said...

Phats: How do you like us now?!?!? ;-)

 
At 8:50 PM , Blogger Lee Ann said...

Phats, I am sorry you were turned off to Auburn.
I went to Auburn!
War Eagle!

It's not such a bad place, I promise!

 
At 10:39 PM , Blogger Cheryl Wray said...

Hey Phats--Boiler Up and Roll Tide! Our guys all did GOOD this weekend!
I tell you what-- this past weekend was a GREAT weekend of football. Upsets all over the place, great hard-nosed games (the Auburn-LSU game--althougheveryone knows I'm the die-hard Bama fan--was a SEC, defense battle!) Notre Dame getting beat, etc. A fun weekend for those of us who love the sport!

 
At 1:32 PM , Blogger jay lassiter said...

any win that's 7 points or less (against an unhearlded squad) has got to worry the diehards.

i can see you're none too pleased at the margin of victory.

 
At 7:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a giant can of whoop ass that Kent State laid on Akron.

Hope you all enjoyed it.

The Wagon Wheel goes back to where it belongs.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home