Wednesday, June 14, 2006

I love you with all my kidney

Hello bloggerland! How is everyone today, on hump day? Me, I am good, tired but good. Alright so I was talking a little bit about my 3 month check up last entry, and some of you talked about how you don't know my medical background and what not, so I thought I would tell the story today. Especially with Father's Day coming up this weekend, BLOGGERS don't forger your father's!

This story has some backhistory so bare with me please. It started back in the spring of 1989 when I was in the 5th grade, and the elementary school nurse had thought I might be having some feet problems, and actually recommended I see the family doctor. As a kid obviously I had no desire to do this but hey you gotta do what you gotta do. Anyway while at the doctor for my feet, my parents had asked some questions about other things, and after some tests and extensive blood work, the results were sent to Riley Children's Hospital. Almost immediately we were called and asked to come down for some more tests to be run down there. This is a little more scary because you're called down to a hospital, but we all packed up and went. Down there they ran a whole bunch more tests, including some very painful ones. After the resultls, they talked to my parents first, then they broke the news to me that I was in Kidney Failure, and needed to have a kidney transplant. My kidneys were basically shrinking and would no longer function at a certain point in time. I was also admitted that day so they could run MORE tests and decide which medications to put me on. It was very interesting, I had very rarely been sick, let alone ever stayed in a hospital, and at first I couldn't swallow a HUGE calcium pill they gave and they had to mash it up into Banana Pudding, I quickly learned how to swallow pills. They chose to regulate me through medications rather then putting me on Dialysis which was a big relief. I also made regular visits to Riley after getting discharged for blood work, and blood transfusions. All this leading up to the big day of the transplant. I became a pro with getting shots, it's like old hat for me now. I even had an IV in my clavicle(collarbone) that was fun let me tell you.

So, they basically regulated me through medications for a few months, and then in October they decided to set the date for the transplant. Obviously before that my whole family, mom, dad, and sister, were tested to see if they were a match to donate. How lucky I was that my whole entire family were an exact match, and the no brainer was to use my dad. So, November of 1989 we were admitted the Monday before Thanksgiving, the transplant was Wednesday, Happy Thanksgiving Phats eh? I don't remember too much of the actual day, I do remember being taken down to the operating room and being really out of it. I remember the song playing was "aint nothin' gonna break my stride" haha! Then I was out, when i woke up in recovery I think I forgot what I had just been thru seeing as how I tried to sit up and asked for my dad immediately. Let me tell you after surger all you want to do is sleep, uhh nurses aren't having any of that as they woke me every 20 mins to do vital signs. So for my Thanksgiving Dinner in 1989 I dined on Ice Chips! :) However I was alive and that is what counts.

The recovery time was pretty quick, I was out in time for Christmas which was really nice. The stay wasn't too bad, the nurses treated me like a king seeing as how I was the only kid on the floor since the transplant was at IU med center. They would sneak me in pizza from the hotel food court that was next door. The doctors would kid with me because my room was decorated in Purdue of course, and they all worked for IU MED. My dad recovered as well, with no setbacks, and that is nice because the surgery is actually harder on the doner then the receiver. I left the hospital on 16 different medications, and I couldn't be discharged until I knew each one, how much I took, when I took them, and what they were for. I am down to 5 meds now! Yay me!

It's been an interesting experience that's for sure, and one that has made me grow up and become more responsible at such a young age. I had one set back since the operation, that was during my Freshman year of HS, and that was my first Biopsy OUCH those hurt! I was out of the hospital good as new in a week though. When I was first released from the hospital I would have to visit twice a week, then once a week, then once every 2 weeks, once a month, and now it's down to every 3 months here in town, and go down to Indy once every year for my 1 yr check up. It's very ironic because I have gotten some great opportunities as well thru this whole ordeal, one being doing public speaking for the National Kidney Foundating, giving speeches on organ donation, and my experience. Another was winning the Larry Smock National Kidney Foundation scholarship, as many of you know every penny counts towards college :) If you ever met me, you'd think I was just another normal(well some argue that) 20 something guy, unless I showed you my scar, but we'd really have to be on a personal level for that! haha.

So there you have it, my medical background in one post. Sorry it's long but this is a story you really can't cut corners on. Of course I am forever thankful for the sacrifice that my father made, and that my mom and sister were ready to make. In the end though you would hope any family member would be willing to step in and do that. We share a very tight bond, as well as the distinction of having only one kidney! :) Although mine is now located in the front. I hope you enjoyed this story, and that it didn't bore anyone. And maybe after reading this story some of you out there will become organ donors next time you renew your license! I am a donor.

Have a great rest of the week
Phats
By the way song is "you raise me up" by Josh Grobin I thought it was appropriate for all the father's out there. Happy early Father's Day to all you dads

21 Comments:

At 5:44 PM , Blogger wmy said...

Yep, as long as we have the 'rents in our corner...we will be okay. I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers hon!

 
At 5:50 PM , Blogger L said...

Beautiful post Phats and the music well lets just say I got something in my eye. ;)

 
At 5:55 PM , Blogger Design Goddess said...

You??? Normal???!!

Hang on......ok....Whew! I think I'm composed now.

Seriously though, glad it all worked out as I've said before. Hope your family has a great Father's Day! :)

 
At 7:56 PM , Blogger jay lassiter said...

what a sweet story. it's nice to learn this kinda stuff about you, i think you can learn a lot about someone by how they speak of their family. this is a really touching tribute.
and by the way, here's hoping you never have to do the collerbone iv again!

 
At 8:25 PM , Blogger Lee Ann said...

Wow, that is some story. Awesome that your dad could help you out that way. I had a friend who's brother went through that and had to get the surgery twice,once from his mom, then from the other sister. I did hear that the operation is even rougher on the donor. I am thrilled you are doing so well. I wish the best forever.
Oh yeah, I have signed up to be an organ donor for at least the last 8 years! :)

 
At 9:59 PM , Blogger Big Pissy said...

What a wonderful story! And what a wonderful feeling it must be to know that your entire family was willing to donate.

Thanks for sharing that story with us and I'm so glad you and your dad are both doing so well! :)

 
At 10:38 PM , Blogger Michael said...

Great post, Phats! I hope all that is behind you and that you have nothing but good health and good luck from here on out.

 
At 6:25 AM , Blogger Linda said...

Phats what an awesome story. I am in tears. The sacrifice your father did for you and the rest of the family was going to do for you.

Will you always have to go for a check up every 3 months?

Thank you for sharing your story.
Happy Father's Day to your Dad!!

 
At 8:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad I came to know you throught the experience! I remember the day you came back and we had a HUGE party for you in the elementary cafeteria. You are a strong person and have an AWESOME family (I know this personally!) Also wanted to note - that even if you have a donor sticker on your license your family gets to make the last decision so make sure they know your wishes.

 
At 10:11 AM , Blogger Phats said...

Steph- Yes, YAY For super cool parentals! :)

WMY- thank you, and welcome back

Lori- Thanks, I thought the song was appropriate

DG- I just knew you were going to say something about the normal thing haha :) I said some may disagree

Jay- I am very close with my family, always have been. I am hoping I don't have to do that again either that might have been the most painful thing I went thru. Thanks :)

Lee Ann- I am glad you are a donor, and hope your friend is doing well also.

Mimi- it was a blessing in disguise she said something that's for sure! Surgery scars are nice, I don't show mine off, unless you REALLY know me hahah :)

Pissy- thanks for the words :) I am glad they donated too or I'd be dead haha

Michael- With you in my corner I am not worried we have a great deal going I think it's working :)

Beading- yes, 3 months just to get labs done, 1 yr to actually physically see a doctor. Thanks for your kind words :)

Wendy!!! I am soooooo glad you commented. I remember that party well, it was a blast. You do have firsthand experience with my family, Cedar Point WOOHOO! haha. Thanks for commenting, and YES pointing out that your family needs to know of your organ donor wishes.

 
At 7:08 PM , Blogger LBseahag said...

Phats, I love you...
I am so thankful for medical technology...and glad you are here with us, and glad your dad is too, and healthy...he earned his place in heaven for sure :)

HAppy Father's DAy, Phat's DAd!!!!

 
At 8:48 PM , Blogger Jay Noel said...

So what are you getting your dad for Father's Day??? How can you possibly equal the gift of life...TWICE?

Being a father, the best gift is just your presence, not any presents.

I'm glad you're doing well, my friend.

 
At 10:13 PM , Blogger SuperSpyGal said...

I'm so glad everything turned out well for you !

As a parent myself I know there wouldn't even be a question in my mind to do the same for my children, but just the same, the sacrifice he made for you shows that a parents love for a child has no boundaries.
Make sure you get him something good for Father's Day or you'll answer to ME...(yea, I figured that would scare you...hehe)
:)
Have a great weekend !

 
At 12:14 PM , Blogger Catch said...

Its a very interesting story Phats and Im just happy it had a happy ending! Im sure you and Dad have a strong bond. God bless you Phats and thanks for telling your story.

 
At 1:10 PM , Blogger that girl possessed said...

dear phats... i love kyle.

LOL

 
At 4:17 PM , Blogger Phats said...

Shannon- You're a friend not just a "blogger buddy!" :) a pretty cool one at that

icecold- thanks, you crack me up I love your blog keep up the good work!

Seahag- the best thing that came out of blogger was meeting you, you're good people kid! :)

Phoenix- No joke! Well, my mom, grandma, dad, and I went to lunch today, and my sister and I got him an assortment of stuff for father's day. I hope you have a great father's day as well!

Spy- thank you, and I am truly scared of you haha JK! I don't think you could hurt a fly.

Catch- Thank you! Believe me I am glad it had a happy ending too haha

TGP- OH brother! I knew sending you that pic was not a good idea.

 
At 6:45 PM , Blogger Michele said...

Beautiful story phats,thanks for
sharing.

 
At 8:49 PM , Blogger starbender said...

Thank God 4 that wonderful daddy of u'rs....
Tell him I said thanx!
:]

 
At 6:57 AM , Blogger R said...

Happy early father's day phat's :)
Thank you for sharing your story.
Dad and moms are a miracle on earth, they are ready to sacrifice everything they have for their children...I don't want to start and tell how much of things my parents sacrified for me. but I will use this opportunity to thank all the dads and moms...And again Happy early father's day !

 
At 3:42 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

wow phats! little teary eyed myself, what a special dad you have and what a special person you are to be alive!
Thanks for sharing that :)

 
At 11:43 AM , Blogger starbender said...

Hi sweetie--
Hope everything is okay!
:)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home