What I did over my Christmas break.. for starters survived an earthquake
Hey Kids
Well, I am back on the clock tomorrow, and this might sound odd but I am actually looking forward to it. I am one of these people that without work I tend to get really bored so I am ready to go back and face the daily grind, but before I head back thought i'd share how I spent my Christmas break. Lets start with the major craziness.
A few days ago we were awoken, yours truly out of a sound sleep, to one of the loudest crashes I have ever heard. I am not going to lie, and I think partly it was because I was so soundly sleeping, but I screamed like a little girl. Having no idea what it was it sure sounded like a truck had crashed right into our house. So, I got up a little nervous as to what I might find checked outside and nothing not a thing. Starting to worry about my mental health I questioned whether or not I dreamed this. We turned the radio on and after 1 song finally got our answer as the DJ broke in to say "We would like to inform the people of Howard County to please stop calling 911 reporting the loud thud you heard, we have experienced an earthquake!" OK heart pumping noway I could go back to bed we turned on tv and it started to explode all over the news. Part of the reason it was so loud was the epicenter was like right down the road from where we live in good old Greentown. At first they said it was a 4.2 but later downgraded it to a 3.8 doesn't really matter still scared the living shit out of me. Thankfully no damage, just one picture that had fallen off our wall, but that didn't stop all the local news teams from invading our quiet sleepy hollow. It was cool to be the epicenter, but i'd rather not experience that again. First we have to worry about tornadoes, and now earthquakes!?
Lets rewind even farther, Christmas with the family was great besides the lack of sleep. My sister has three kids and none of them would go to bed with the anticipation of Santa coming so alot of hands of Dutch Blitz, and a new game called Wizard were played while waiting for them to finally fall asleep. It was great watching them tear open their presents the next day with some of the highlights being their football player figures, roller skates(old school not blades) and a pop-a-shot which I definitely wanted to play! As for the adults we all had a good Christmas as well, I got some nice fancy new clothes from all my favorite stores, some new Purdue swag, 10 books(trying to pick which to read first is hard!) lots of DVD's I like to collect TV series on DVD, and some nice new cologne. Overall very successful, and happy Christmas. The best gift all our snow has melted and it's going to be a few days before more comes YAY!! Thanks mother nature keep it up.
New Year's Eve was pretty uneventful here for starters not a big fan of the holiday because it seems like bad things always happen to our family on this day but I won't get into that. This year not the case it might have been one of my favorite new year's eves. The day started at Mackey Arena watching the Nationally ranked Purdue Mens Basketball team CLOBBER Northwestern. 1 of our 2 All American candidates went off for 31 points including 7 threes! It was great, and amazing atmosphere considering the students are still on break. Boilers are now 13-1 2-0(Big Ten) as they take a few days off before traveling to Penn State Wednesday. After that headed home, watched movies we got the Scream Triology for Christmas, and then I was literally reading a book when the countdown started to midnight and almost missed it. Never fear rang in 2011 with a nice kiss!
Hopefully you all had a great holiday, and here is to an amazing 2011 this blog would suck without all of you :)
So what was your favorite present this year?
Phats


10 Comments:
1. "sleepy little hollow" - nice literary work there, Phats!! I'm glad you were okay. The boom part didn't make it over here to Marion. Just the shaking.
2. Which TV series did you get on DVD?
3. LOVED my new coffee maker with a timer!!!!!
Great to hear that your holidays went well.
I was channel surfing a couple weeks ago and saw that "Scream 3" was on. It was nice to revisit a movie I hadn't seen in a while and was good preparation for next spring's "Scream 4".
The best gift I received was a coffee-table book on the making of the Indiana Jones movies.
Finally, my wife and I were sleeping fitfully as '10 turned into '11. No need, I thought, to be awake as the 1st arrived. Every day, after all, is a new beginning.
Those earthquakes are shockers, for sure! Glad to know you are ok!
I can't believe you guys had an earthquake. Insane!!
Your bball team looks SO good! I foresee a possible Final Four!
Thank goodness my Tide had a great bowl game. We were so proud of them...they finally played a complete 4-quarter game!!! Roll Tide!!!
An earthquake? In Indiana? What next, dogs and cats living together? Mass hysteria?
Bekah- I got a whole bunch from back in the day and some recent, and some still on the air! So basically LOTS haha :) I don't drink coffee but if it saved me time to get what you got I would buy that.
Thomas- Scream 3 wasn't bad! I am ready for Scream 4, might even actually go to see it at the theatre. Cool book :)
Delta- Thanks!!
Cheryl- I can't believe it either scared us to death haha. Thanks I hope they keep rolling. Really impressed with your bowl win!
Topolk- joke if you must but earthquakes are very rare in the midwest! Kind of like cold and snow where you are :)
I've always wondered what it was like to be in an earthquake.
Feeling an earthquake must be quite the sensation when you are not used to them. I slept through them when we lived in Japan. I am glad you are OK and you had a good Christmas with the family. I actually got 2 awesome presents, a new Mac laptop, and then an awesome win by my Cardinals over the stinkin' Cowboys. Good times.
Thanks for the Christmas wishes!! Glad that you survived your first earthquake!
It's been a while for me to blog. Guess I have been super busy w/ facebook, and school stuff.
Happy 2011
This was my quietest Christmas ever... we bought Damien a few gifts but that was it.
I don't think I liked not seeing anything under the tree for me!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home