Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Are you an organ donor?

Took a little bit of a blog layoff but I am back. I have decided to get a little personal which is a change for me but thought i'd switch it up, and talk about a topic that is near and dear to my heart, organ donation. When it comes to this topic I sort of feel like I am an expert, after turning in probably close to 40 papers from Junior High, High School, and College, and spending 2 summers as a guest lecture for the National Kidney Foundation on the subject I sort of feel like I know my stuff. There is a reason this topic is so personal for me, and I thought i'd share that with you. Some of you already know as I do believe I might have blogged this before, one of you Miss Bekah knows because I know you in person and you know all about this. Anyway, if nothing else I hope this story will inspire you to become an organ donor if nothing else.

Rewind a bit, well ok alot, back in the 5th grade is when this entire story starts as my parents were called by the elementary school nurse because she was concerned I had something wrong with my foot because it appeared to her I was limping. Head to the doctor to get it checked, and while there my parents wanted to check and see some other things including why I was still the size I was(I was very small at the time, for those that don't know I am still rather short), After alot of blood work, x-rays, and other various tests we headed home and had barely even gotten in the door when the phone was ringing and it was our family doctor. He told us he had found some interesting things and wanted us to go to Riley Children's Hospital immediately meaning THAT DAY. Talk about whirlwind it was a crazy time that is for sure. After several tests at Riley they were ready to diagnose me, as I was diagnosed with kidney failure and needed to have a kidney transplant. I was extremely lucky for a lot of reasons, one we caught it early, two they were able to regulate it through medication until it was time to do the transplant rather than having me go on dialysis. However, the biggest blessing of all my entire family were tested to see if any were matches and like God was watching over me all three of my immediate family members were not only matches but all were considered perfect matches. It was pretty easy decision on who we were going to go with, my sister was a Senior in high school and was only going to be the donor if needed, my mom is not that great with doctors or hospitals, so it was my father. After 6 months of frequent visits to downtown Indy and Riley hospital for blood work, transfusions, and tests it was finally time for the actual transplant.

When it came time for the actual transplant we checked in the week of Thanksgiving, and the transplant itself was the night before Thanksgiving in 1989. My Thanksgiving dinner that year consisted of ice chips as that was all I was allowed to have. I don't remember too much of the pre surgery stuff, and some of it wasn't pleasant that I do remember. I had to have an IV put into my clavicle which turned out to be a great thing because they were able to draw blood from it rather than having to stick me every day, but getting it put it in was pretty painful. The morning of the surgery I remember being woken up early and given morphine(which I was grateful for) very very early, and my entire family being there. The song playing in my operating room was Aint nothing gonna break my stride, yes I am not kidding haha, but other than that don't remember much else. I remember after the surgery in recovery sitting up just minutes after surgery and asking about my dad with everyone looking at me in shock that I could sit up since my kidney was now close to my stomach area that had just been operated on. After that it was a month of recovery in the hospital which for the most part went really smooth with the exception of one night where I spiked a very high temperature. It took cooling mats, and meds before it finally came down and all was well again. I was released about a week before Christmas which put me in a fantastic mood nobody wants to be in the hospital on Christmas! I was released on a few conditions I had to be able to tell my transplant coordinator what all my meds were, when I took them, how much dosage, and what they were for. When I was released I was on 15 medications including one that was a liquid that I took through a syringe orally, and I swear to God it tasted like what I imagine oil tastes like disgusting. Thankfully that med came out with a pill, and now I am not even on it anymore.

So, it's been 21 years since I had the kidney transplant and to this day I am still going strong as ever. If you saw me you would never know that I had a major surgery when I was a kid. My scar is pretty cool unfortunately where it's located I can't exactly show people. I still have to go for check ups, but they are less frequent. When I was first discharged I had to go back twice a week for blood work, once stabile that went to once a week, then every other week, then a month, and finally to where I am at now where I go for blood work every three months thanfully I have never had a problem with needles. One of the nice things that's been done is I am allowed to get my blood work done here in town and they fax it to my doctor so I dont have to drive an hour just for blood work. I have to see my doctor once a year and I just went this month and got the all clear everything looks good which is always a big sigh of relief even after 21 years! I do find it funny that about 10 years ago I had to switch doctors from the ones that actually did the transplant because they had both retired. I have since found a great doctor who I have now followed to three different hospitals. Hoping he stays where he is now since it's only 50 mins away. I have very few restrictions, contact sports like football were out because my kidney is now located in the front of my body and has little to no protection. They didn't take out my other kidneys over time they basically kept shrinking til they were no longer there. My diet has a couple of restrictions but nothing too major, and obviously due to all the medications I am on I am not allowed to drink alcohol which is probably a blessing in disguise. Other than that I lead a pretty normal life.

As you can see I was very very fortunate to have my whole family be matches, but I can tell you from meeting other patients, and hearing their stories not all are like me. Some patients have to wait for years to get an organ, and being put on the organ donor list is not a fun thing because you have no idea when or if you will receive your organ. That's where you come in! When they say becoming an organ donor can save a life they aren't lying, but you have to take some steps to make sure your organs are donated.
1- Next time you renew your license make sure you tell them you would like to become an organ donor, here in Indiana when you let them know a red heart is put on your driver license.

2- Register with your state donor registry, pretty much each state has these and it's easy to do!

3- Sign a donor card, if you have already renewed your license carry this with you until it's time to renew again.

4- Most importantly let your family know of your decision. So when the time comes they can be your advocate for donating your organs.

Hopefully I didn't get too preachy, and you enjoyed reading about my experience. As always feel free to ask any questions, either in the comments or at phats_blog_email@yahoo.com feel free to ask if you have any questions regarding organ donation as well. Not sure if I really did this story justice, but if I would have written the entire experience it would have been long, and it's already really long now.

Hopefully you all aren't buried under snow like we are but if you are remember to drive safe!
Phats

19 Comments:

At 12:40 AM , Blogger Bekah said...

This may be my favorite post you've ever written. :) I even learned stuff I didn't ever know about your experience!

You didn't say we threw you a great party at school. :)

Well I do have the red heart on my license!! Just so you know. I didn't know about the website though - you taught me something new there. :)

I'm really glad you had your transplant and you're still here. What would I do without you?

 
At 1:04 AM , Blogger Phats said...

bekah- haha! I almost put that in there but it was getting too long :) I played that gameboy you all got me all the time in the hospital. Glad to hear you're a donor!

 
At 5:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I am an organ donor.

 
At 1:48 PM , Blogger Thomas said...

Fantastic story! Thanks for sharing. A co-worker recently donated one of her kidneys to her husband as they were also matches.

It's great that you remember the song that was playing way-back-then. I am also familiar with the tune. My little brother thought the lyric was "Ain't nothin' gonna break my spine".

I'm not presently an organ donor, but your account is causing me to reconsider.

 
At 4:48 PM , Blogger Phats said...

Knot- Good to hear!

Thomas- It's excellent when there are matches in the family and a BIG relief as well. haha that's funny about the song lyric. ya I won't ever forget that.

 
At 5:55 PM , Blogger Cheryl Wray said...

Thank you for sharing your awesome story!

I'm absolutely an organ donor. Got it on the license, filled out the paperwork, and have told everyone in my family that I want them to give everything of mine away that someone will take!

 
At 6:22 PM , Blogger Travis Erwin said...

Enjoyed the story and learning more about you. And excited for the big 10 next year. Might try to head up to Lincoln for the Mich State game.

 
At 2:03 PM , Blogger Rocketstar said...

great story man. I am a donor!! Who needs organs when your dead.

 
At 5:18 PM , Blogger Phats said...

Cheryl- Yep! Glad you're a donor :) that is great. I am glad to see Bama doing well in hoops a NCAA team this year?

Travis- thanks! Yeah we don't play you all for at least 2 years maybe longer depending on who rotates on boo! I wanted to beat ya haha

Rocket- My thoughts exactly

 
At 9:03 PM , Blogger Mr. Shife said...

Well said Phats, and I am glad you are doing well and enjoying life. I am an organ donor, and so was my Mom. I know that her organs went to people who really needed it and that was one final act of kindness she could do. She is always with me but I also know that she is with other families who benefited from her donation, and that makes me very happy. Take care buddy.

 
At 12:42 AM , Blogger Phats said...

Shife- Good to hear my friend. I know it's hard on a family to have to decide that in that part of time, but like you said can save multiple lives

 
At 7:02 PM , Blogger Delta R. Vines said...

I was once registered as a potential donor...but, because of my own health issues, I cannot be one now. HOWEVER, before I had health issues, I donated gallons of platelets for cancer patients! My HLA type was very much in demand, although my blood type is A pos (instead of 0). SO, if there are folks who aren't sure about organ donation, and can donate blood or platelets -I'm sure they would be greatly appreciated as well!

If I could, I still would! Thanks Phats

 
At 11:42 PM , Blogger Mr. Shife said...

What's up, buttercup?

 
At 12:58 AM , Blogger Phats said...

haha i laughed at that :)

 
At 11:08 AM , Anonymous tina said...

:) Thank you for sharing and what a great post to get the word out about organ donation. I am an organ donor too and have been as long as I can remember. Also, I am registered with the bone marrow registry just in case I come up as a match for someone that needs marrow. I did this when my former great boss and friend had a daughter who fought leukemia.

p.s. I am back to blogging :) happy to see I haven't lost the few readers such as you!

 
At 3:21 AM , Blogger AngelConradie said...

Damien and I are both organ donors!

 
At 10:12 PM , Blogger Phats said...

Angel- So glad to hear that!!!

 
At 10:12 PM , Blogger Phats said...

Tina- Sorry missed ya there. Awesome and good for you :) Glad you are back blogging my friend :)

 
At 8:28 PM , Blogger Gunngirl said...

Beautiful story Phats, and thanks for sharing! I'm glad all worked out well. I'm an organ donor too, but I committed a faux pas I guess because I didn't exactly discuss it with my family, and I think a couple were a little uneasy--oops! I know that is hard for those you leave behind, I guess I always figured that if I was dead and someone can use my organs, then what's the difference?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home