Monday, September 07, 2009

Weekend Wrap

So another weekend has come and gone but this one was a good one because college football started HELL YA! My weekend consisted of a lot of college football, a lot of US Open tennis, and my nephew's birthday party he turned 5 today. All in all a pretty good 3 day weekend.

Lets get right to a look at the opening weekend of college football, a lot of stuff happened. First off the results from the first guest picker of the season, and I have to say for not knowing sports(or claiming not to) Bekah did EXCELLENT! She even correctly predicted the Richmond over Duke upset, although not sure that's too much of an upset. Here are the results.

Bekah 11-3(I am giving her a Purdue pick even though she didn't pick it)
Phats 11-3

Not a bad start, missed the Richmond over Duke, Bama over Va Tech, and Idaho how could I have not picked the Vandals, shife has luck on his side! So the Boilers started the year with a 52-31 thumping of the Toledo Rockets, and the nice thing is the game was never in doubt. We had 2 interceptions inside the 20 or we might have come close to scoring 70. Our QB was making his first start and didn't have a bad day at all, two of the picks he threw were tipped, one was a bad pass. The running game I think shocked everyone, we're suppose to be a pass first team but we had a runningback(also his first start) go for 234 yards, including a 78 yard run to start our scoring for the day. It was surprising because our offense was suppose to young and inexperienced and our defense was suppose to be our strength. I think what a lot of people and fans in general don't understand when you go against a team that plays an offense like Toledo they are going to score and they are going to get yards, I mean they passed 70 times you're gonna connect on some, I think the defense will get better as the season goes on. One big highlight was the end of the first half. So many Purdue fans are used to Coach Tiller taking a knee and running out the clock, but up 28-14 with 22 secs to go on Toledo's 20 Coach Hope used aggressive play calling to give us a chance at a field goal, only problem it was a 59 yarder. No problem for our Sophomore kicker he calmly nailed it, and it would have been good from 65 and it totally energized the whole stadium it was neat! Even Coach Hope was jumping up and down at center field after it. All in all a good season opener, now the fun begins as we head to Oregon to take on the ugly uniform wearing Ducks! I like our chances actually I will expand on why a little farther down.

The rest of the college football world.
Big Ups to Alabama that's a huge win. I will say this about Bama, they don't shy away from playing anyone and everyone in their non conference I like that about them. I think we'll find out more though when they get into their conference schedule as the SEC looks tough yet again. Not sure anyone will beat Tebow and the Gators.

The ACC sucks. Sorry Topolk, but man oh man what a BAD opening weekend for that conference easily the worst of the power conferences. That's part of the reason why I am reserving judgment on Alabama since the ACC looked so bad in week 1 who knows how good Va Tech really is. Look at some of these results, Virginia loses to William and Mary, Richmond takes down Duke, Baylor beats Wake Forest, and Cal killed Maryland. Not a good start for a conference that was whining for respect in the preseason.

The Big Ten some people might say it's down, some might say we got lucky in week one, but we can still say we were 10-1 in week 1! Sure IU was unimpressive as usual vs Eastern Kentucky, Ohio State had to intercept a 2 pt conversion(looking ahead perhaps) Iowa had to block a field goal TWICE(overrated a tad?) and Illinois absolutely laid an egg. I am not sure why the hype was there for the Illini, I have never bought into Juice who knows.

Finally, the ugly of opening weekend, the Boise State/Oregon game. Congrats to Boise for a big win but the post game left a lot to be desired. For those that didn't see it, a Boise player started taunting one of the star Oregon players who had talked trash most that week, when the Boise player turned away the kid from Oregon sucker punched him in the jaw. Unfortunately it didn't stop there as he tried to go at some BSU fans which is just unacceptable. The consequences the kid was suspended for the entire season, which ironically helps Purdue since we play them this weekend, and he chewed us up last year. I 100% agree with the Oregon coach and the actions he took, apparently this isn't the first altercation for this Oregon player. Where I don't agree is with Boise State taking no action against their player. This incident could have been avoided but the kid from BSU went out of his way to get the attention of the kid from Oregon, and tapped him on the shoulder even though the Oregon kid was walkin away. If I were BSU's coach i'd give his kid at least a 1 game suspension that would be fitting in my opinion, but it appears they chose to take a different path. Lets hope this is the last incident of this kind we have to see about all year, it's truly a black eye for such a wonderful sport.

Speaking of wonderful sports anyone watching the US Open?? Holy smokes was I off in my picks for the semi's at least in the womens the only one I have left is Serena. The big story has been 17 year old American Melanie Oudin. She is the youngest American to reach the quarters since Serena in 99. She's firey, feisty, and gutsy all rolled into one. She has another tough test to make it to the semi's but at this point I wouldn't bet against her. I do want to point out I was dead on that Safina would go out early, and she did. The mens side is a little more predictable not many upsets, Murray and Federer on still on course to meet in the final. Sorry Nadal lovers don't see him lasting much longer he is apparently hurting, has an abdominal injury and that's tough to play tennis with. I am rooting for Fed-Express to take his 6th straight at Flushing!

Alright this was a long post, I am going to bed! The hardest thing about having Monday off, I don't want to go back to work on Tuesday :)
Have a great SHORT week
Phats

4 Comments:

At 7:01 AM , Blogger Bekah said...

well shut right up!!! Who knew??? :)

Happy short week to you too!!! I did NOT want to get up for work today.

 
At 12:14 PM , Blogger Cheryl Wray said...

Roll Tide!!!! Some of it was sloppy, but it came together in the second half.

I'm cheering for Ouidin. I really like her spunk! And how fun was it when McEnroe got on the court last night?

 
At 3:25 PM , Blogger Mr. Shife said...

Go Vandals indeed!!! We have not been 1-0 since 1999. I think we are going to lose 4 in a row after this but at least for a few days we are still unbeaten. I hope the Boilers rip Oregon a new one. Have a good one.

 
At 5:01 PM , Blogger Phats said...

Bekah- My goal is to turn you into a sports fan! and i didn't want to get up today either I hit snooze 4 times

Cheryl- Roll Tide! Novak is awesome I think he actually won back some new yorkers after last year's incident with Roddick. That was great I believe I had posted before this happened

Shife- GO VANDALS! Keep the faith never know maybe winning that first one will get them rolling

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home