Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Holiday World!!!

Thought i'd do a quick but it will probably be a rather long update. So, I am pretty excited because we are going to Holiday World tomorrow woohooo!! For those that don't know Holiday World is an AWESOME amusement park in Santa Claus, Indiana. I am really looking forward to it for a lot of reasons, 1 I love roller coasters, and 2 it's been a few years since I have been there. The only bad part it's a long ass drive about 4 hours from here and we're stopping in Indianapolis to pick up the rest of the family. What makes Holiday World not only great but one of a kind is all they offer for free. First off they don't charge you to park, second free sunscreen in their water park, and free inner tube use, however the best perk of all free soft drinks!! They have what's called pepsi oasis stations throughout the park and you just help yourself. The best ride there in my opinion is called the Voyage a wooden roller coaster. Here is the first hillThey also have an amazing water park and just opened the world's longest water coaster so pretty stoked to go on that too. Now if only I didn't have to ride in a car with my relatives! haha it's ok I will hopefully sleep.

So lets talk Olympics, I am hooked. Not a surprise I knew I would be, started with an amazing Opening Ceremony I was completely jamming to the music. Of course the best part for me is the parade of nations, I will admit I got goosebumps when the good old US of A walked in, but my favorite group and I am not even sure what to call them because I don't remember what they were called were the Independent Athletes. They were totally hamming it up and dancing loved them. It's no secret that my favorite part of the Olympics is the gymnastics it's what I spent most of childhood doing and doing well, so I always love to watch it. For the men's competition I hate to say this but I saw the US meltdown coming and not just because I read it before it happened online. It was amazing they qualified number 1 and actually gave us hope they could do it, but they completely choked in finals. Lets face it team finals is relentless 3 up 3 count can be down right brutal. Hopefully they will learn from this, and be ready for Rio because they are all young we could potentially see these same 5 in the next Olympics.

Now the women's competition that started with a bang in qualification. I can't believe the reigning world champion didn't make the All Around. I know a lot of people are outraged over this, Bela Karolyi still, but we all knew the 2 per country rule going in it's not like it's a surprise. That being said I would rather see the best 24 athletes compete tomorrow and lets face it Jordyn is probably better than at least 20 of them. They changed the rule from 3 to 2 after the Romanian women swept the podium in the 00 games, but I wonder if this will make them review the process for Rio. However, lets also say way to go Aly for making it, people tend to forget she was 4th at world's in 2011 and that was with 2 MAJOR mistakes on bars. I look for it to be a battle though between Douglass and Komova from Russia. Lets get back to the team final though wow what a night for the US! I purposely avoided spoilers all day so I wouldn't know and I was really glad I did that. Although I should have known we won it after vault when all three nailed their amanars highlighted by McKayla Maroney's stick, and lets face it the judges blew that she should have gotten a perfect score for that. Bars always makes me nervous with this group but they did a solid job and then the Russians fell apart. I have never seen someone abort a tumbling pass in such a major competition, and they didn't show that the 3rd Russian also fell. The 2 best moments of the night though were team captain Aly in tears before her floor routine ended, and Jordyn's reaction when Aly finished it was in a word GOLDEN!

Love the swimming too, and while everyone wants to talk Lochte and Phelps, two women have stolen the show of course everyone knows Franklin, and now Allison Schmidt. Fun to watch this sport and I find myself screaming at the tv when they are finishing. Sad both Gymnastics and Swimming are coming to a close.

Other sports I have watched really got into the archery watching the men's team from USA take silver, maybe it's the Hunger Games influence? Water Polo hello that sport is crazy, and physically demanding not sure I could do it. Neat seeing Purdue diver David Boudia team up in synchro and take home a bronze, and how about Handball another odd sport. I even watched some women's soccer Shife and Travis should be proud. However, I will say this I found myself really liking and wanting to root for Abby Wambach, on the flip side I can't stand Hope Solo. I hate the game soccer, adn she did nothing to help me like it more. I remember back when she was going to be on Dancing with the stars hearing all the stories of how she verbally went after her coach on twitter, that's not cool no matter what the situation. Now she is going after a pioneer of the women's game?? Like I said I hate soccer it's a ridiculous sport and a total bore, but that said I know who Brandi Chastain is. Solo went after her on twitter for how she was broadcasting, and honestly I don't find what she said offensive?? After reading some online stories almost everyone sided with Chastain, do they have bad a relationship or something? I hope they win gold, and I hope they get Solo a muzzle. And just to be fair let me criticize my own sport of tennis when Ryan Harrison had his outburst after losing round one I was EMBARRASSED, that should never happen at the Olympics. However, he at his own doing asked to get on tv the next day and address it.

So, what sports are you most enjoying?? What do you think of the coverage, wish it were live? I did at first but man NBC is completely bringing in the ratings Tuesday it peaked with Phelps breaking the all time record for medals, and the US women taking gold in gymnastics. I think it will end up one of the most watched.

That's all I should probably pack and get to bed early wake up call.
Phats

5 Comments:

At 5:16 AM , Blogger Bekah said...

I"m jealous you've gotten to watch so much of it!! I haven't seen nearly as much as I planned, but that's okay. I did think of you when I watched the diving and they talked about David Boudia and Purdue! That synchronized diving is amazing. DIVING is amazing...and then to sync it is just unbelievable.

 
At 7:38 AM , Blogger _emily_rose said...

I got into Diving last time in Beijing, and I think I've watched more diving than swimming so far. synchro is amazing, and I got excited last night when I saw there was springboard synchro too. I thought it was over, haha.

I love the gymnastics, and hated to see the guys choke. The girls are adorable though, and I'm really happy for them.

Next up is my friend George in Long Jump, I can't wait to watch!

 
At 10:47 PM , Blogger Mr. Shife said...

I have Olympics fever too. My torch is burning up. Ha. Hope Solo has issues. She has a history of trying to be bigger than the team and being in the spotlight. And yes I am enjoying watching the soccer. Have fun at the park, buddy. Take care.

 
At 9:57 PM , Blogger Mr. Shife said...

Did you survive Holiday World? And you have to admit that the last two USA women's soccer games were amazing?

 
At 10:34 AM , Blogger Jay Noel said...

I've been watching Olympics non-stop too (although I skipped the boring opening ceremonies).

Hope you had fun at Holiday World.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home