Sunday, November 05, 2006

6 Down 1 To go, Weekend Wrap Up

Hello everyone,
Hope you all had a great weekend, I sure as hell did. I had a sports weekend, as usual. On Friday the Purdue men opened exhibition season in basketball thumping the fighting sioux of North Dakota State, 92-60. The storyline though really had not much to do with the game moreso the refs calling it. Both teams were in the bonus before the first media timeout, which is not something that usually happens. Purdue was led by Carl Landry's 28 pts in 17 mins, this is a good sign seeing as how he redshirted last year coming off an ACL tear. It was a nice way to start a new season, with a win, everyone healthy, and the freshmen looking good. I see at least an NIT berth, and an outside shot at the NCAA Tournament. High expectations for a team who has been in the basement of the big ten the last 2 yrs.

Saturday, was an eventful day. My sister and her husband brought her three kids over to trick or treat, wearing their costumes. They chose a Toy Story theme, Tate was Buzz, Trey was Woody, and Caden was bullseye very cute. I gave them some candy, and kindly asked them to leave when the Purdue game was getting ready to start haha. The Boilers played MSU in a MUST WIN game for Purdue. For those of you who didn't already read the last post, we won!!! 17-15 in a weird game all around. We missed 2 field goals, and had 2 touchdowns called back one on offensive pass intereference what a bunk call that was too. It was another good Purdue/MSU battle as it came down to the end. After MSU scored to take a 15-14 lead they went for 2 and missed. Purdue drove all the way down the field and Kory Sheets going into the endzone fumbled out of the back of it, for a touchback. I will admit I thought we were done then and there. However, the defense who has just improved every game came up with a big interception on the MSU 47. We drive all the way down to the 1 yard line have 4th and goal, and Tiller calls timeout. He brings in a new kicker!! Benching the kid that missed the two earlier in the game. It is a chip shot, at 18 yards, but the angle wasn't the friendliest. This kid hasn't kicked a field goal since HS, so a little nervous I was. He kicked it right thru no hesitation right thru the uprights with 4:00 to go. Defense needed one last stand, and got it! On 4th and 8 our defense back knocked down a pass, and MSU with only 1 timeout that sealed it with 1:00 to go. BIG BIG BIG win. Brings us to 6-4, and needing to win just 1 of our last 3 games to qualify for a bowl, and send Phats somewhere warm for the holidays. Our last three games are @ Illinois, vs IU, and @ Hawaii. BOILER UP!

Today, I just got back from Mackey Arena watching the Purdue womens basketball team play their final exhibition game today against the Hoosier Lady Stars. The #13 ranked Boilers had no problems in this one, led by Katie Gearlds 20, winning 84-53. Expecting big things from the Ladies this season, with three very talented starters back. Face a tough schedule, but should be just fine, and a big ten and national contender. A fresh look this year for the Boiler women as Sharon Versyp returns to coach her Alma Mater, after Kristy Curry bolted for Texas Tech. I would love to play the red raiders and DRILL THEM!

Well, that was how I, Phats spent my weekend! What did you guys do, anything fun? I promise there will be a non sports post this week. Have a good one!

BOILER UP!
Phats

15 Comments:

At 7:54 PM , Blogger Design Goddess said...

My weekend was pretty boring. Saturday I ran some errands, ran into an old co-worker that I haven't seen in a long time, and shopped for shoes online. Today, Zen and I went to a spa party and now I'm at her house and getting ready to eat dinner.

Even though it was boring, I'd take it over last week at this time...I was starting my four day stint of being sick. :(

 
At 8:31 AM , Blogger Catch said...

I love your nephews name...Caden... thats a cool name. I didnt do much this weekend. I did manage a little shopping! I worked Sunday from 930a till 200 p, when I came home I took a long nap! lol. Come see my new blog!!!! You know Im all about the sparkles.

 
At 9:47 AM , Blogger Cheryl Wray said...

Sounds like my kind of weekend!! Sports, sports, and more sports!!!
The Bama game was BAD!!!!! (But I am SO glad that I've turned you into a Bama fan--I promise you, it's much better most of the time!!!) If we could somehow miraculously beat either LSU or Auburn, it would make things some better!!
I'm with you, though--I'm ready for some basketball! I LOVE college basketball and Alabama is ranked #12 in preseason polls. They will be really good this year! (It's pretty bad when a Bama fan is ready for football season to be over and basketball season to begin!)
That's great that Purdue did so well all weekend! Boiler Up!
I also love your nephews' names. We briefly thought about naming Sydney "Kayden."
Have a great day!!

 
At 1:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Worked all weekend and didn't even get a chance to kill a few brain cells...
Sounds like someone is planning a CMAs post, eh?

 
At 4:03 PM , Blogger Linda said...

This weekend I went grocery shopping, made banana pudding, took a 2 hr nap Saturday and Sunday. I lead such an exciting life. LOL :)
Last night though I talked to my son on i.m. and got to see my grandbaby thru webcam!! Today I had doc's appointment. Which everything is okie dokie.

 
At 4:36 PM , Blogger Phats said...

DG- Shoe Shopping online, really?? A friend name Zen!

catch- I dig the new look, I stupidly left a comment as anonymous haha I am a dork

Cheryl- you're one person I know what mind me posting sports! haha. I didn't get to see the Bama game, it wasn't on TV here, did they just play bad? I can't believe it's basketball season. Our women are going to be great, our men well the jury is still out ha!

Fearless- I actually wasn't going to do a CMA's post, but I will if you want me to? I have to work tonight, but I might turn the TV on at the center.

Beading- That is awesome you got to see your grandson on webcam, isn't technology amazing!! Glad to hear all is going well with your pregnancy.

 
At 4:40 PM , Blogger Kayla said...

Boiler Up!
It's so great to have the basketball season starting!!
Yay!
You can read all about my weekend on my new post

 
At 5:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to work at a hospital and one of the anesthesiologists was a Michigan fan like me, one day they had finished the surgery in her room and they were talking about college football, the nurse opened the door and at that moment the anesthesiologist shouted "GO BLUE!!", I was at the control desk and thought she shouted "CODE BLUE!" which means the patient has stopped breathing, so I ran in there with the crash cart and everyone in the room looked at me and the surgeon said "What the heck are you doing?", to which I replied someone yelled "CODE BLUE right??" They all laughed, but the anesthesiologist changed her UM rallying cry to "WOLVERINES" from then on.

 
At 6:53 PM , Blogger R said...

Boiler UP !!!
Hey man , guess who's back ?
Hope everything went great with u these last months.
Be right back :)

 
At 9:53 PM , Blogger Mr. Shife said...

Good job Purdue. Here is your Vandal connection Phats. Our men's basketball team opens the season against North Dakota State, and the coach of Michigan State, John L. Smith, was the coach at Idaho back in the day.
I think you guys are a pretty safe bet to go bowling, but watch out for Hawaii. They are pretty incredible especially at home.

 
At 10:24 PM , Blogger Mr. Shife said...

And I forget to say hi to Nutz.

 
At 11:51 PM , Blogger Phats said...

Kayla- I wish it were football season forever! However, if we turn out tobe good in basketball then I will enjoy it haha

Rawad- Yes!! BOILER UP!. Welcome back, you were MISSED. it's good to have you back in the land of blog.

Shife- So is Idaho any good at hoops?? They still have an outside shot at a Bowl, but they can't lose another game.

 
At 11:52 PM , Blogger the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

Glad to hear you had a good weekend!!!! Enjoy the week ahead!

 
At 11:58 PM , Blogger Phats said...

NMOTB- thanks you too! I just missed you

 
At 12:14 AM , Blogger Tina said...

I'm pooped :(

Tks for stopping in today.

I got slammed with tha politickin'

and by family lol so sad

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home